You think JWs are pushy?

by Ed 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Ed
    Ed

Just be glad they're not usually like this -

I was walking home from shopping one day when I saw a guy standing casually at the side of the footpath with his hands behind his back, watching the passers-by. He didn’t look like he was about to do anything weird. As I went past, he suddenly stepped forward to get my attention:

“Excuse me,” he said. He had an American accent.

“Yes?”

“Are you a local?”

“Yes, I am,” I replied, thinking he was going to ask for directions.

“Well that’s great!” he said. “You qualify!”

“I qualify? Wow, that is great. Say, what do I qualify for?”

He brought his hands out from behind his back and handed me two books. “Here, these are yours!” he said. “We’re only giving them to locals today. We want to help people become more spiritually aware.”

I looked down at the cover of one of the books: “The Science of Self-Realization by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Founder-Acarya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness”.

“Uh…okay, thanks very much.” I said, not wanting to create a scene.

“Say, what do you do for a living?” he asked.

“At the moment I’m doing graphic design.”

“Well that’s great,” he said, reaching over and opening one of the books he had given me. “See, there’s some really good art in these books.” He pointed out some strange drawings illustrating the concept of Karma. “See, Good Karma... Bad Karma...”

“Yes, they’re nice pictures. Okay, thanks.” I said.

“Oh, by the way...” he said, holding out his hand. “We usually ask people to consider giving a small donation for the books. Can be any amount, just from your heart, whatever you want to give. Some people give about $20. Think of it as Good Karma.”

“Ah, okay,” I said, rolling my eyes. I had been too nice and brought this on myself. Might as well give him something. I would know better next time. So I opened my wallet, and all I had left was $10. (In Australia that’s only about $5 U.S.) “Here, is this okay?”

“Ten dollars is...fine...” he said, looking a bit disappointed. “Uh, actually, would you mind giving one of those books back? We usually try to get a bit more for them.”

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Uh…okay, thanks very much.” I said, not wanting to create a scene.

The pushy look for pushovers.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Ah yes, the Hare Krishnas. I remember seeing them at the airport as a kid. They recently filed for bankruptcy so they wouldn't have to pay out court settlements on their child abuse law suits.

From what I've read about them on the Freedom of Mind web site (www.freedomofmind.com) they make the JW's seem very normal

• garybuss
    garybuss

In my experience when confronted by a person with intellect and armed with information about their group, the Jehovah's Witnesses run like scared rabbits. Not only are they dishonest and unethical, they are cowards. They have worked hard to earn and keep my contempt.

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

• Ed
    Ed

The pushy look for pushovers.

Yep. I must have been looking particularly gullible that day, or desperately in need of spiritual guidance. One or the other...probably amounts to the same thing anyway.

• greven
    greven

hey ed!

We got those hare krishnas in holland too!

they usually post around railway stations. I think I must look gullible too because they always hit on me. In exactly the same way: before you know it you have some books in your hand. last time they tried to make me accept some weird organic cookery book of some kind. I usually tell them I am not interested, but they are persistent indeed. “Uh, actually, would you mind giving one of those books back? We usually try to get a bit more for them.”

LOL!

Greven

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

he said, looking a bit disappointed. “Uh, actually, would you mind giving one of those books back? We usually try to get a bit more for them.”

That would be the moment I took my money back... and then ripped both books in half down the spine while dropping them in the trash.

• SYN
    SYN

Some "interesting" looking guys descended on me once when I was at a mall (about to watch a movie at the cinema), and I managed to procure a book with the exact same title.

To say that that was a fruity book, would be to insult the word "FRUITY", IMNSHO. You know a book is FRUITY when the name of the author takes up three pages by itself!!!!!!!! :/

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

One of my best friends grew up as a Hare Krishna - although she no longer practices. You're right - if you think JW's had it bad - she & her siblings lives were a living hell. They were raised at the compound in WV - and it was extremely traumatic for many that were sexually abused by the leader there (he had a "thing" for the boys -girls were pretty much left alone). The compound is still there, and many still do follow the faith. In fact, a few years ago, there was a huge news article done as their very own mother's body (which was just buried out in a field of the compound) was unearthed during some construction work.....my girlfriend after 22 years was finally able to find her mother's remains & arrange for a proper burial.

Not only do they sell their publications - if you've ever been to a sporting event tailgating area, they are usually the ones walking around selling boot-leg sports apparel (hats, t-shirts, etc.). It's really the only life they've ever known - and they did learn pretty quickly how to hustle for money. Most ex-Hare Krishna's actually lead pretty interesting lives - flying all over the world at a moments notice and just getting by, but seeing the world. A few like my girlfriend and her siblings did settle down & go to college.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit