Who am I to screw up their happiness?

by Crazyguy 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Clarity nailed it, writing with exquisite clarity.

This is a cult. The leaders are manipulative liars and hypocrites. If they--that is, your family--choose to remain in a dangerous, destructive cult, then I suppose that's their right (if they are adults).

I think a better question is this: Who are they to screw up your happiness?

End of story.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

When that question is asked of The Watchtower, they reply -

"When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning?" -- THE WATCHTOWER January 15,1974

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. YOU have the same right to expose dangerous erroneous beliefs that they do. The fact is that Jehovah's Witnesses have become a group of weak, trembling sisters who know they cannot defend their stupid and dangerous beliefs, so they hide behind the skirt of religious liberty and cries of "intolerance!" when they are challenged.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

I think it's a case of taking away a lifestyle for the oldies. My sister is ten years older than me. He son is an elder and the other one is disfellowshipped and truly f&*^%$d up emotionally, mentally and spiritually. He was so clever with music, played in a band, that band were going places.

What stopped him from gaining his full potential? The shunning and loneliness of missing his family. He was in his early twenties when EMI was about to sign them up for a contract that would have opened the world up to them. But he was lonely and indoctrinated, so he crawled home a mess, gave everything up, let the band down and has not played one tune in fifteen years. He is also still disfellowshipped and living in a twilight zone.

My sister is quite happy for me to die, for my other sister to die. My other sister and me have been separated from each other all our lives until recently. Now we talk in a real sense. She has faded very well and without too much notice. I think the children are the ones who need to be protected from this sect and it's constant message of doom and misery...I think all the comments above have some value.

• clarity
    clarity

Oh geez thanks Oubliette ....it has been so long since I have garnered any positive comments ....I am actually giddy ().

Ok ...to be serious .....I am an older ex jw..... and I would have been soooo pissed if I thought for one second that no one was bothering to advise me that I was in a cult just because they figured I was passed it!!!

"From what I've learned so far the older ones are perfectly happy in their ignorance so I don't even bother"

Many feel this way & I respect your opinion but.................

Lets get this straight .... everyone deserves the facts, deserves to be informed that they are being used. I am so very relieved and happy to get away from that CULT thinking & CULT activity that I could do a happy dance! Please please please tell the truth & let each one decide what they want to do. Yes I have paid a price, but Omg ...I wasted 50 years ........ now I am my own person ...strong, interested, loving all the beautiful things and people in this wonderful earth we have ended up on. I am free.

clarity

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Clarity: Oh geez thanks Oubliette ....it has been so long since I have garnered any positive comments ....I am actually giddy ().

You're most welcome!

I'm glad you're free of this cult!

• Alive!
    Alive!

The witnesses (under instructions) have irresponsibly left tracts at the doors of people - depicting frightening scenes of humans dying ( including children) terrifying illustrations of monster like dragons, lions and all sorts....

Without pausing to consider the mental and emotional health and age of whoever may pick up the publication.... And off the JW trots, for an afternoon drive around and coffees...

I remember speaking to a woman who said that at a very fragile time in her life, the witnesses had frightened her and left her feeling anxious and miserable, due to their clumsy and ridiculous way of picking out just one scripture and following that theme at a time when she simply needed warm human care and gentleness. And... They kept coming back...flip flopping between warm fuzzies and frightening warnings.

UNQUALIFIED.

I have watched needy people being brought to the meetings, being 'made a friend of' only to be dumped, absolutely dumped when they back off.

I wonder what damage has been done over the years to those we 'met' on the doors...

• Half banana
    Half banana

OP Crazyguy, perhaps firstly because their happiness is delusional i.e. their hopes will never be realised... and secondly they practise their delusions at the cost of the happiness of others.

...and good on you Clarity!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As usual, I can see all sides of the discussion as having some merit. But, like Clarity above, I spent far too many years in the cult, and wish someone had made a good job of taking away my delusional state.

I have vowed to be more direct when questioned by JW's as to why I am no longer one, perhaps that may help them, a simple "Because it is not the truth" should make them think at least, if they are capable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit