Doctor Sleep

by Simon 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

Saw the movie yesterday and, wow - it was good.

It's a follow-up to The Shinning, an iconic movie, and it just has the same feel to it not least because some of it ends up set back at the same hotel and has the same kind of camera angles and scenes plus the haunting soundtrack. It actually starts with the mom and the kid living after they survived the experience in the original movie.

It wasn't what I was expecting, I thought it was going to just be a cash-in, but it wasn't - not just more of the same, instead it actually built in the original and expanded on what 'the shinning' was.

If you like suspenseful movies but not just a gore-fest, I give it a thumbs up.

• hybridous
    hybridous

I thought the book was excellent. Glad to see the film a solid version of the story. It was well casted and directed. I liked the use of certain scenes and music to connect to the original Shining, while still telling a new story.

In a perfect universe, it would've been a 10-part Netflix series. I am becoming increasingly aware of the limits of 2.5 to 3 hour films in telling complex stories. Oh well, Doctor Sleep for the win.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, you can do so much more with a series and they no longer look like the low budget efforts of yester-year.

Some of the Netflix, Prime & HBO series are really excellent, the only cinema that usually competes are Marvel movies and rare, quality stand-alone films like this.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

It was based on an actual book sequel by King, wasn't it? If so that's probably why it was good. If it was an original Hollywood sequel, it would've been highly derivative, nostalgic, going for the lowest-common-denominator etc.

• TD
    TD

Cool. I gotta see this one!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm aware that there are some good reviews for this movie.

Seeing as I love The Shining (1980), perhaps I should check this film out in due time ...

• LV101
    LV101

Great topic - love these reviews and appreciate. Any non-suspenseful suggestions to see with girlfriends - I'll save Doctor Sleep to see with my husband.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I really liked it, too.

Fun fact: I didn't even realize until afterward that Jack Torrance's ghost was played by none other than...

...Henry Thomas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit