Will Covid 19 deaths exceed 'flu deaths in the U.K.?

by BoogerMan 4 Replies latest social current

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

I hope not. Thankfully, C19 appears to be waning as the summer comes in.

2017/18 'flu deaths: England & Wales = 50,100, Scotland - 23,137, & N.I. - 1500. TOTAL = 74,637

"There were over 50,000 excess winter deaths in England and Wales (not counting Scotland & N.I.) last winter, (2017/18) the highest recorded since 1975/76, according to data released by the Office of National Statistics (ONS). The increase is thought to be a result of the prevalence of flu last year, alongside ineffectiveness of the flu vaccine and colder than usual temperatures in the 2017/18 winter period......Nick Stripe, health analysis and life events statistician at the ONS, said: 'Peaks like these are not unusual - we have seen more than eight peaks during the last 40 years.'" http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/commissioning/flu-and-cold-weather-contributed-towards-50000-excess-winter-deaths-last-year/20037896.article

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

ENC :)

• Earnest
    Earnest

The first reported deaths in 2020 for England and Wales by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate was in the week ending 13 March 2020 in which there were 5 deaths. The most recent report by the ONS is for the week ending 22 May 2020. For purposes of comparison the figures below only cover England and Wales for the same period of eleven weeks in the years 2018, 2019 and 2020.

In 2018 there were 17,524 deaths from respiratory diseases including influenza. This was 14.9% of all deaths in the same period.

In 2019 there were 15,334 deaths from respiratory diseases including influenza. This was 13.8% of all deaths in the same period.

In 2020 there were 16,001 deaths from respiratory diseases including influenza but excluding COVID-19. This was 9.4% of all deaths in the same period.

In the same period there were 43,694 deaths in which COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate. This was 25.8% of all deaths in the same period.

For purposes of comparison, there were 56,194 more deaths from all causes in 2020 than the average number of deaths over the same period in the previous five years. This means that in 2020 there has been an increase of 49.6% over the average number of deaths

All figures were obtained from the ONS website here.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There have been more than 290,000 confirmed cases of corona virus in the UK and just over 41,000 people have lost their lives, Government figures show.

The estimate for the real number of deaths is in excess of 60,000 due to a lag in reporting and collating, plus a good number go unreported, this figure of in excess of 60K is obviously a guess, but made by people who are respected.

I see no sign of a " Flattening of the Curve (s)" yet.The curve for total Cases, and the other for Total Deaths.

We are, sadly, creeping toward the 74,000 mark.

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

Now when someone has cold like symptoms people say “I hope it’s only covid and not the real flu”

If you have flu then you are so I’ll that you can crawl outside to pick up a $20 bill.

anyway either flu disappeared for a couple of years or all those covid deaths were actually flu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit