Work ethics and religion

by link 5 Replies latest jw friends

• link
    link

During the fairly lengthy time that I have been coming to the Board I have noticed that a number of people here are self employed and some also employ others.

If you do employ other people, or if you have an opinion, do you find that religious belief makes any difference to work ethics? By that I mean are people with a firm religious belief likely to be more honest, conscientious and reliable that those without (Christian or otherwise)?

I do have a reason for asking this question. At the tender age of 63 I am wanting to start a new business venture (not my first by any means) and I need to recruit some technical expertise. I need someone to design, install and run a fairly complicated web page and set up e-mail systems linked to the site. They could do this from home and from almost anywhere in the world, subject to time zones. Im not looking for finance and would pay the going rate or could offer a partnership.

I do not have the necessary knowledge or ability to do the technical stuff myself and I dont really have time to start learning it all now.

Apart from technical ability, which I can assess, I most certainly need someone who is completely honest, conscientious and reliable and wondered if religious belief could be used as one of the criteria for determining this. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

link

• Francois
    Francois

Link, look no further. I'm your man to design, set up, run, troubleshoot, enhance, etc. your website. If you don't believe it type in the following into your Google search engine:

hire precision artist,

and

hire technical illustrators

The site that comes up ON TOP, aside from the bought sites, Precision Technical Illustrators, Inc. is ME. And I do web design on a consulting basis all over the place.

The important point for you to notice is that my web site comes up on PAGE ONE of a Google search. Not only that, but it comes up NUMBER ONE on PAGE ONE of a Google search. That ain't luck, my friend, that's called knowing what the heck you're doing. And remember, if you can do it for real, it ain't braggin'. So believe the evidence of your startled orbs and gimme a ring.

As to your other questions. No. I find that most people who go around telling their workmates what great christians they are, and who have "Jesus Saves" as their screen saver are the first to stab you right between the low ribs. The most important thing still is to find someone who wants to work doing what you want done for a fair salary.

AT&T had a study done once about the performance of their new hires. They just weren't up to snuff. But the came only from the top 10% of the graduating classes of the top 10% of business schools in the country. Still, their performance was lack luster.

When the study was over, the old fella who did it for them, good ol country boy, had a meeting with the grande frommages at AT&T and said "you're hiring the wrong people. You're hiring good looking resumes who expect the world, when you SHOULD be hiring good solid C+ or better students from average, second tier universities who have a burning desire to work for AT&T.

So AT&T forgot about the ivy league and started hiring solid students with a C+ GPA or better from second tier universities who were burning with desire to work for AT&T. Problem solved.

And I don't have the slightest idea of what the point was that I was trying to make, but there was one I can assure you. I think it might have been something along the lines of "hire me to create your web site on a contract basis and I'll get you on page one of normal Google searches for your type of site business or my name ain't francois."

You don't want to pay a full-time employee to sit around drinking coffee and making you a web site that costs you $50,000 worth of his wages and bennies, plus the software and god knows what all and a year later your site shows up on page 52 of a google search and it never produces sweat for bidness 'cause no one hardly ever looks past page one when they're doing a bidness search. So what good is that $50K investment doing you? $0.00. Zat watcha want? Don't hire them guys what can make a beautiful site with flash movies and effects by Industrial Light and Magic with THX sound and all that. You want me what can get you on page one each and every time and make your product SELL, SELL, SELL.. That's the point of the AT&T story.

I'm standing by to do bidness with you sir. Give me thirty mintues to get to the store for the little woman and back and give me a call so we can discuss it?

francois

Edited by - francois on 14 February 2003 16:30:55

• link
    link

Francois,

Many thanks fo the response. I'm a bit tied up at the moment but will get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks

link

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hello link,

I have to say that choosing an employee based on their religion is a huge moral mistake. As a private employer of course, you can do whatever you want, but the moment you ask someone what religion they are in a job interview, you've opened yourself up to some serious legal issues.

If you are looking for someone who is honest, hard working and conscientious ask for business and personal references and follow up on them. That's still no guarantee, but you have to take your chances like everyone else in this world.

Obviously if Catholic priests can be pedophiles, and JWs can harbor them, and Muslims can be terrorists - choosing someone based on their religion isn't any wiser than choosing someone based on how many jelly beans they can stuff up their nose.

Silverleaf

• link
    link

Silverleaf thanks for that. The reason I asked the question was that there were two people that I had in mind when I posted this thread. The first one is a fornicating drunkard who is absolutely brilliant at his work and does not charge a lot. However he is also a thief and a liar who would rob you of your last penny if he got the chance. I would constantly have to be on the watch with him.

The second one is an exJW now Born Again who I would trust completely in just about every way. However he is not as good at his job and would come at a higher price. I would battle to get the job I wanted from him but I would never have to be looking over my shoulder.

The point is that I dont have to ask these people their religion, I already know it and looking at what I have written here tends to help me see that I have probably answered my own question. Thanks

Francois

I will e-mail you later with some info to see if you can help.

Thanks.

link

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Link

There was an interesting item on public radio about ethics in business and why high ethical standards are to the benefit of all, (shareholders, employees, customers etc) by William George the ex-CEO of Medtronic. You can listen to the lecture at the following:

http://news.mpr.org/programs/midday/

Being religious does not necessarily mean having good ethics. I don't think it is ethically right to amputate peoples limbs as a punishment though some deeply religious people may disagree. Christianity has often lagged behind ethical reforms and many have used the Bible (and religion) to justify slavery, segregation and sexism. That's not say that deeply religious people weren't involved in forming the ethical standards we expect and accept today but means that relgion is not necessarily a good force in people's lives.

I believe you set your own standards and do business with those whose code of conduct and ethical standards match yours or your company's.

Thirdson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit