Narrow and cramped is the road leading ...

by whyhideit 8 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

"Narrow and cramped is the road leading to life", right? Well with that quote, the Witnesses have always justified the fact that they are still God's chosen people, even though they are not that large compared to other worldwide religions. Yet I was wondering something, if smaller is a sign of God's people, then how small is small enough. For example, there are many Christian religions that are no larger then a few thousand, or just over a million. They might be good people, with a good cause and yet they are not that large. Is their gate more narrow and cramped then the Witnesses?

So if someone says to you, "we are a smaller religion, because the road is narrow and cramped to ever lasting life." You should mentioned that with the growth they brag about, it sounds like the road is starting to become a little to broad and spacious and thus you would feel more comfortable with a more cramped religious lifestyle. Yes, that comment made sense in the 1920's something, because at that time they were only a few thousand. Now they brag about being so large and growing and those begining numbers have changed. So we must conclude, the cramped and narrow road has gotten to wide.

What do you think, is it still a narrow and cramped road?

Edited by - whyhideit on 14 February 2003 3:8:37

• greven
    greven

You hit on doubletalk I noticed too.

When they are growing the brag about 'nations flocking to God's mountain' but when there is little growth or even decline they speak about '10 thousands are falling', 'the love of many cools down' and 'the road is small and narrow and few find it'. Growth or decline, favour or percecution, a large number of members or a small number. It is always Jehovah behind it all, showing they have the true religion. Jehovah blessing them, Jehovah sifting them. No matter what happens it is always given a positive spin.

If they were to grow bigger than Islam or the Katholic church, they would simply forget this text of a small road or assign a different meaning to it.

Greven

• Lieu
    Lieu

The WTS is not on the road, last I heard they were in a boat that was 'tacking' in different directions on the open sea.

Did they come to a port yet? i may have missed that. :)

• Englishman
    Englishman
    last I heard they were in a boat that was 'tacking' in different directions on the open sea.

Yes, indeedy, they are tacking here and there in the great Aposter Sea!

Englishman.

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

The Watchtower has a ton of SPIN DOCTORS to take care of issues like this. Sad isn't it?

• Mum
    Mum

Personally, I have my own interpretation of the "narrow" road leading to life. I believe that we who are free have to discipline ourselves and find the road less traveled in order to build a satisfying life, spiritually and otherwise. Free people do not need others to tell us what to do. We actually learn our own lessons from our own errors and insights.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Narrow and cramped is the mind leading to the kingdom hall.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think the WTS has misinterpreted that scripture... When you pass through a large passage, you can carry a lot of things with you, but when you pass through a narrow passage, you are very limited in what you can bring.

I believe that this scripture is saying that you only need Christ... if you try to bring anything else, like rules and regulations and requirements, you will be so loaded down that you will not be able to make it through the narrow passage.

The scripture is saying "Let go of all of that extra crap... all you need is Christ"

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake

Matthew 7;14 describes it as a "cramped road, narrow gate." to get in throught the gate you have to have a key. Luke 11:52 says, "woe to you who are well versed in the Law, because you took away the key of knowledge, You yourselves did not go in, and those going in you hindered.

The Watchtower took away this key when they dont allow others to have the hope of becoming close to Christ or having the Heavenly hope...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit