Are the "angels of God", and "sons of Israel" the same thing?

by I_love_Jeff 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Just recently I posted a question on Yahoo answers and asked a simple question to the Jehovah's Witnesses about the "sons of Israel" and "sons of God".Here is the question:

Are the "angels of God", and "sons of Israel" the same thing?

Why did the Watchtower Library 2012 translate Deut 32:43 using the LXX Bagster BUT did not use the same translation for Deut 32:8?

If you apply the same translation (angels of God) in Deuteronomy 32:43 to Deuteronomy 32:8 we have this: When the Most High divided the nations, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the nations according to the number of the angels of God." (See Bagster LXX Online)

Deut 32:8-Bagster LXX-ὅτε διεμέριζεν ὁ ὕψιστος ἔθνη ὡς διέσπειρεν υἱοὺς Αδαμ ἔστησεν ὅρια ἐθνῶν κατὰ ἀριθμὸν ἀγγέλων θεοῦ (angels of God)

*See Watchtower Library 2012*
    (Deuteronomy 32:43) Be glad, YOU nations, with his people,*m (you have an asterisk and an "m") For he will avenge the blood of his servants, And he will pay back vengeance to his adversaries And will indeed make atonement for the ground of his people.”

(See Watchtower Library 2012)-Citation-m*“Be glad, O heavens, together with him, and let all the

angels of God (ἄγγελοι Θεοῦ-angels of God) worship him. Be glad, you nations, with his people, and let all the sons of God strengthen themselves in him,” LXXBagster. Compare Heb 1:6.

Deut 32:43 εὐφράνθητε, οὐρανοί, ἅμα αὐτῷ, καὶ προσκυνησάτωσαν αὐτῷ πάντες ἄγγελοι Θεοῦ (angels of God)· εὐφράνθητε, ἔθνη μετὰ τοῦ λαοῦ αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἐνισχυσάτωσαν αὐτῷ πάντες υἱοὶ Θεοῦ· ὅτι τὸ αἷμα τῶν υἱῶν αὐτοῦ ἐκδικᾶται, καὶ ἐκδικήσει καὶ ἀνταποδώσει δίκην τοῖς ἐχθροῖς καὶ τοῖς μισοῦσιν ἀνταποδώσει, καὶ ἐκκαθαριεῖ Κύριος τὴν γῆν τοῦ λαοῦ αὐτοῦ.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yes the word Elohim means gods so in the context of many of the scriptures it would be the sons of the god El. Angels was a concept introduced by the Greeks.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If you carefully analyze this old thread: Narkissos16

"Son of God" -- some background.

The LXX and MT forms of the text reflect alternative revisions of a polytheistic text.

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Thank you peacefulpete

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit