Poorly written Scripture

by stephenw20 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

When I was reading this passage about six months ago, I had a pair of elders stop by, as my wife, was affraid for my spiritual welfare.
    This passage came up as one I had questions about.

Mat 27:50-54 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

The elders said ..in verse 53 where it speaks of those how arose out of the tombs.......(this reads different in NWT) it meant that those form the centurion guard where those who came out from the tombs......

oddly enough my father asked a circuit oversser this question as well. He repiled ....its a poorly written scripture.........which of course begs the question.....is there a list of them?.......

of courseall three faithful men of the WTBTS org missed this one POINT

it says AFTER HIS RESSURECTION...........

Now we know Jesus mentioned prior to this, that those in the tombs would here his voice and come out.

Also in Peter it talks about preaching to the spirits in prison:

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

1Pe 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water

and paul talks about the one who Acended Descended first to the lower parts.......

Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

so who are these that came out?

anyone?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Alegories and metaphores! Why DO exigetes take the resurrection story literally?

carmel

• logical
    logical

Poorly written scripture???

That is just plain blaspemy. The WTS are SO good at that. Just because they cant explain the scriptures because they rejected & replaced Jesus Christ & the Holy Spirit with their own literature & organisation, doesnt give them the right to call God's inspired Word "poorly written".

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

One scripture i was wondering about that comes to my mind is somewhere in the old testament. pardon me for being so vague. i think it's 1Samuel in chapter 19 somewhere. i THINK. anyways, it says something about God's wicked spirit causing Saul to throw the spear at David. if any of these details are incorrect, forgive me. i haven't read the bible in quite some time, and i've really begun to question it's validity. <----(made up word? i don't know) anywho, thought that was kinda strange, and i'm sure people have their theories about what it means.

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Judg 9:23
    23 God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the citizens of Shechem, who acted treacherously against Abimelech.

The above I would understand the "evil spirit" to be a bad aura or tension that was permitted between Abimelech and the people of Shechem. That's pretty easy to see, I think.

1 Sam 16:13-14
    13 So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came upon David in power. Samuel then went to Ramah.

14 Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him.

The evil spirit from the LORD I'm sure has something to do with David's being anointed in the verse before. Notice the spirit of the LORD came upon David, the following verse has the LORD's spirit departing from Saul. When the spirit of God leaves someone after being "anointed" with it for some time, there must be a horrible void within the person, knowing the spirit of God has been removed. What's left? Whatever spirit is left within the man. Hate. Jealousy. Anger...

1 Sam 16:15-16
    15 Saul's attendants said to him, "See, an evil spirit from God is tormenting you. 16 Let our lord command his servants here to search for someone who can play the harp. He will play when the evil spirit from God comes upon you, and you will feel better."

The text above has Saul's attendants probably seeing him moping around all pissy faced and angry because of God's spirit being removed. What do the attendants suggest to show that the evil spirit could be a spirit of anger and agitation? Music. Soothing music. That helps add to the understanding that the evil spirit was not an evil being from God, but rather the corrupt human spirit within Saul showing itself.

1 Sam 16:23
    23 Whenever the spirit from God came upon Saul, David would take his harp and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better,
    and the evil spirit would leave him.

Everytime Saul gets in a raunchy mood, David plays soothing music. The spirit is from God in that God has removed his holy spirit from Saul and is permitting his corrupt imperfect spirit to flourish and reveal itself.

1 Sam 18:10-13
    10 The very next day, in fact, a tormenting spirit from God overwhelmed Saul, and he began to rave like a madman. David began to soothe him by playing the harp, as he did whenever this happened. But Saul, who was fiddling with his spear, 11 suddenly hurled it at David, intending to pin him to the wall. But David jumped aside and escaped. This happened another time, too, for Saul was afraid of him and jealous because the Lord had left him and was now with David.

I think here in this text, Saul now knows where the spirit of God has gone. It's on David. He's stark raving mad. Jealous. He whips the spear at David in a fit of jealous rage. If God applies His spirit to one, and removes it from another, both results are "from" God. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

1 Sam 19:9
    9 But an evil spirit from the LORD came upon Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand. While David was playing the harp,

And again the same thing. If you look at a number of translations and also go to a Hebrew lexicon, you will see the word for "evil" can also be translated as "distressing" or "tormenting"...

The conclusion I come to in my own understanding is: God removed His spirit from Saul, it was applied to David. The results are an angry, jealous, tormented Saul who's "evil spirit" from God was really God removing his holy spirit, and permitting Saul's imperfect corrupt human traits to flare up and exibit themselves in rage towards God's newly anointed, King David.

love
    pomegranate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit