Enoch the Prophet

by Doug Mason 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

In my ongoing research into Second Temple Judaism, I scanned and marked up a chapter dealing with the Book of Enoch.

I have made this marked up chapter very temporarily available at:

https://jwstudies.com/Crucible__chapter_4__Enoch_MARKED_UP.pdf

Doug

• Earnest
    Earnest

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your research. Is it possible to see the footnotes which presumably corroborate the information you provide.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Hey Doug!

"The book depicts mighty archangels and angels, such old friends of ours as Gabriel and Michael, alongside their diabolical counterparts. Enoch ranges through glorious heavens and burning hells."

No mention of burning hells comes to mind in the O.T. What is this referencing?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hi Terry,

Much of the religious beliefs (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) owe their origins to the revolutions of this period commencing with the 3rd century BCE. Most of the OT's ideas were formed some 300 years earlier, by the 6th century BCE.

These new ideas, such as apocalyptic, eschatology, messianism, personified evil spirits (Satan,Mastema, Beliar, demons, etc.), war in heaven, final judgement, and so on, find their origins in this latter ("intertestamental") period, not in the OT. The period created sects such as the Pharisees, Essenes, etc., etc.

One of the canonised books that was influenced by this environment is the Book of Daniel. It was written in the 2nd century BCE, often drawing on imagery from books such as Enoch, Jubilees.

Doug

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

This is what you get when an "Average Joe" with no education on a subject interprets something they read simply on their own personal opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit