Downloading TV shows??

by home_and_dry 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

I was just wondering how to go about downloading a tv show from the internet. It's only because the show I want to watch is a season behind the U.S. and I can't wait for U.K.TV to catch up.

I have tried KaZaA which does have the shows but I can never get a download, its all just remotely queing. And they don't have much of a choice in downloads either, so I just give up!

I heard someone somewhere say something about ftp sites, now excuse my stupidity, but can someone explain what that is?? I've only had net access for five years!!!

• freeman
    freeman

Homeand-dry, I dont think you are doing anything wrong. When it says remotely queued it generally means that the other party has received your request and that the download will commence when enough resources are free (on his end). He probably has too many files downloading at once to other users. Your download will start when the download count goes below his max set number. At least that is how I think it works.

I too am looking for a particular program, The Fifth Estate a Canadian show. I am trying to get a copy of the episode dealing with the Child Molestation problem among JWs called Spiritual Shepards. Kazaa can be a pain in the ass, I tried to find that program when a few posters had it up and all I got back when I searched was a bunch of audio files called the Fifth Estate. I should just write my own program with an improved search but Im just to lazy.

Dont know who may have your files archived, but dont feel bad about not being particularly net savvy, Ive been on the net since around 1974-75 long before there was a www anything ( it was called Arpanet / Milnet back then) and its still sometimes confusing to me even now. Back then there was only a few types of people on the net: universities (high energy physics labs aka bomb researchers), some military type people, defense contractors, and a handful of early hackers. Ill give you a hint of what group I fell into. Hint, I was not in the military, and at the time I was not yet in college J .

As far as FTP goes, this is simply a file copy program, just another basic way to move files across the net from one computer to another. You could simply type ftp into a search engine and you will likely find information on how to use this program. You could also open up a dos window on your PC and type FTP and then when you get the FTP> prompt type ?. This should show you some of the more common commands available.

Hope that helps a little.

Freeman

Edited by - freeman on 12 February 2003 7:58:23

• buffman
    buffman

You may want to try Morpheus also. It is similar to Kazaa, but uses the gnutella network. I have found that gnutella generally sucks, but a different network of users may yield better results for you. Happy hunting!

Buffman

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

KaZaA and Morphoeus are both caca-fess (shit arsed) you need to download a program called iMesh ... it's what I use to download music videos and games, there are heaps of users and it does multi-download for each file which it downloads the fastest it possibly can on your connection. you can find iMesh at www.imesh.com ... its a relativly small file to download so you will be downloading tv programs before you know it without getting queued all the *&cking time

Josh

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

Thanks for the advice!

The problem I have with KaZaA is that all I ever get is remote queing, or it telling me that more sources are required etc.. If I do get a download going, its so sloooowwwww even though I have a broadband connection.

I will have a go with the other suggestions, I used to use Morpheus and always found it to be pretty good before it went pearshaped last year so I might try that again and also Imesh.

• gotcha
    gotcha

hey lucky you...i have the answer to your question...you got mail

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit