Talkin' bout my generation

by FusionTheism 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Instead of this latest video by Governing Body member David Splane, attempting to explain the current view of what Jesus meant about "this generation" in Matthew 24:34, the Governing Body should, if they were truly wanting to put "truth" first, have simply said "This is one idea we have, but it may be wrong, and in all honesty, we aren't sure what Jesus meant here."

Then, they could have gone on to give the different valid options for interpreting this passage.

Instead they doubled-down on a confusing doctrine that can't really be supported by Scripture.

There was no overlapping generation of 100+ years in the original 1st Century Fulfillment of Jesus' words, so why would there be a 175-year overlapping generation in the antitypical modern fulfillment?

While we are on the topic, why are they even still saying that Matthew 24:34 has a typical and antitypical fulfillment, since they said we shouldn't interpret things now as types and antitypes unless the Bible explicitly says so?

No doubt, David Splane probably sincerely believes in this doctrine, but... Seriously?

There are so many better alternative theories they could go with:

* The Generation began with the appearance of the Disgusting Thing (United Nations)

* The Generation began with the appearance of the Great Crowd in 1935

* The Generation began with the appointment of a Governing Body instead of the President (1970's)

* The Generation just means a class of people... In this case, Jesus' anointed disciples as a class (The 2008 definition)

* The Generation begins with the rapture of the anointed and the cry of peace and security.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Not that antitypical crap again..LOL
  • freddo
    freddo

I wonder if they have amnesia or the memory of a goldfish. They certainly don't have anyone brave enough to say "Errr ummm, it might not be a good idea to promote this."

That's the problem when all their nearby helpers err ... minions depend on them for board and lodging.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That's the problem when all their nearby helpers err ... minions depend on them for board and lodging.

That's their biggest problem. No one has the balls (or, no one dares risk) telling them that they are full of shit! As said so many times, it's like the Emperor's New Clothes -- no one dare tell them they are naked!

Doc

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"My Generation"

People try to put it d-down (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    Just because it's changed around (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    I don't mean to sound awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    I hope it comes before I get old (Talkin' 'bout the generation)

This is the generation
    Overlapping generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    If you don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    I am trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    I'm just talkin' 'bout the g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout the generation)

This is the generation

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    If you don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    I am trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    I'm just talkin' 'bout the g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout the generation)

This is the generation

If you try to put it d-down (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    Just because it's changed around (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    I don't mean to sound awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout the generation)
    You should hope it don't come before you get old (Talkin' 'bout the generation)

This is the generation

• steve2
    steve2

OTWO, a clever adaptation of a classic Who anthem. Well done!

• steve2
    steve2
    Fusion Theism, by your thoughtful, upfront and reasonably-toned OP you have automatically excluded yourself from candidacy for any position on the Governing Body. Those kinds of qualties would be fatal to the GB's authority and power.
  • prologos
    prologos

Jesus was talking about his generation too, and it was local events he talked about. comparing it to the flood story, which we know was a local event, not reaching the Himalayas or their heights. that is finished.so,

the 1914 generation (my father's) saw terrible war experiences. Me, in the 1930 generation, lucky, too young to be seriously involved in the ww2 mess. The present generation? -- All overlapping

WT ideas really totally irrelevant.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    wise observations!
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Among others I thought of the classic Who song when considering Splane's video...The whole song is about a generation gap , it would make no sense if the generations overlapped into one generation...

"Why don't they all just f.f.fade away?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit