Man is a creature of God.

by The Rebel 11 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I believe that if I am to believe " Man is a creature of God" I am putting my trust in the wisdom of past ages. I also believe many political leaders, pretend to believe in this acient wisdom because they reason the public will be more tolerant of there acts of aggression if it is believed they are acting with a higher powers approval.

Anyway I have concluded that:-

When acts of aggression are carried out by our governments people still like to believe our leaders have a higher authority's approval.

Do you think my observation:

A) has any truth?

if so:-

B) What does it say about humankind?

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    When acts of aggression are carried out by our governments people still like to believe our leaders have a higher authority's approval

Maybe in the USA but not in western Europe or the UK. God is not a factor in the thinking of most rational people this side of the pond.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    God is not a factor in the thinking of most rational people this side of the pond.

Just to be completely and unnecessarily pernickety Cofty, God isn't a factor in the thinking of any rational person anywhere in the world.

But I take your point.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I think you are correct the rebel

secularity is not a neutral space for political discussions as here we tend to put the past (as in past thinkers, politicians etc) in the space that God occupies. I think this a fruitful area to explore.

Past US presidents, prime ministers and people like Thomas Paine, Hobbs, Rorty, Rawls, Locke etc would occupy this space imo. But here the difference is that appeals to God as the final authority does not occur but I would say that the mobilizing potential that the past supplies towards carrying out aggression may still be relevant.

What does this say about humankind? people need to somehow believe that they will ultimately be held responsible for their acts of aggression and that we will be made to account for our deeds. But this need not occur in heaven or hell - perhaps it can occur in a neutral space that politics can occupy.

edit: was recently reading a great book by John Seery called Political theory for Mortals. He, by means of a thought experiment, argues for a kind of Plutonic space where people have nothing better to do than discuss their past lives and the impacts they had on others whether or not they leaned towards liberalism, communism nationalism, religion or combinations

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I also take on board " Coftys" point "nicolaou" but it is also worth researching that since Margaret Thatcher, Brittish Prime Ministers have increasingly started using religious language in their political rhetoric to justify their policies.

Our current Prime Minister, David Cameron, recently described Britain as a "Christian country" , and spoke about his personal beliefs " Jesus invented the big society 2000 years ago"

The Rebel.

p.s thanks for the reply Ruby, I haven't time to respond now, but a quick read raised some interesting thoughts.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think your OP may be correct with regard to the USA, The Rebel.

I'm sure there are quite a lot of 'Muricans who want 'Gahd' to be on Obama's side.

Our current Prime Minister, David Cameron, recently described Britain as a "Christian country" - he was probably trying to rally support for his party from traditional Tory voters and from undecided people. A society loosely based on Christian principles appeals to a fair amount of the British public.

The UK is a secular society (thank Dawkins!) with a Christian past, or heritage. Hardly any voter wants or thinks Cameron has God's backing. Those who do are comfortably locked up wearing a jacket that does up at the back, I hope ...

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

the UK is a moderately secular society as it makes space for the Anglican church.

The US is supposedly a more secular society but it appeals to religion much more than the UK

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    In the US God is still part of the Senate and Congress unfortunately. All you have to do is listen and you'll hear it.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

The fact is that Thatcher, Blair, Brown and Cameron have all done God in their political rhetoric. In fact I was surprised when David Cameron our current prime minister, recently even drew on the bible for such justification.

So since Thatcher, Brittish prime ministers have sort to promote themselfs as Christian, and justify a closer relationship between politics and religion.

Is this because our Prime Ministers :-

A) Think the Brittish public like to believe they make important decisions with the approval of a higher authority?

or

B) They generally believe in a higher authority.

Personally I found it very scary when our current Prime Minister, recently drew on the bible to justify his relationship between politics,his faith and religion.

The Rebel.

• talesin
    talesin

I think it's in aid of sucking up to their masters, the USA. Remember Tony Blair - he was GWB's lap dog; at least that's how general thinking was in this part of Canada. : )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit