Earliest Life on Earth Pushed Back Another 300 Million Years

by cofty 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Very interesting. I'd love to know if life somehow survived the late heavy bombardment or if it was wiped out and started again.

I suppose this could also be considered (circumstantial) evidence for the idea of panspermia, since the timing coincides pretty closely with the beginning of the late heavy bombardment. While that idea is a little less exciting to me, it is interesting to think that we may have distant relatives living elsewhere in the galaxy.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I remember seeing an article about amino acids being found in meteorites. Here are a couple I just dug up quickly. Anyone have any updates to these?

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/meteorite-amino-acids-101221.htm

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/life-components.html

• cofty
    cofty
    It makes the emergence of life almost inevitable - Cofty
    this is fascinating stuff. But I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you please explain? - Ignoranceisbliss

If life emerged so early on earth - it may have even done so twice, before and after the "heavy bombardment" - then it makes it look like far less of a challenge. If it happened on earth then why not on countless other planets?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If it happened on earth then why not on countless other planets?

Could it be the earth's position in the solar system which availed the best temperature to spur monocular activity and reactivity ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Most humans on this planet are not cognitively aware of the vastness of the universe in general, particularly religions and their leaders.

Our solar system may turn out to be average, slightly above average, or somewhat below average; we’re still not sure. But regardless of which way it goes, we’re talking about trillions of planets in our galaxy alone. And remember, our galaxy isn’t alone in the Universe.

With at least 200 billion galaxies out there (and possibly even more), we’re very likely talking about a Universe filled with around 1024 planets, or, for those of you who like it written out, around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe.

From that perspective it would be intellectually dishonest to say that there is no other planet in the universe that hasn't any living organisms, which we are self came to be through biological evolution .

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty, thanks for posting this, very interesting.

The article referenced in the OP also had a link to this related article:

• Simon
    Simon
    Could it be the earth's position in the solar system which availed the best temperature ...

If live develops it will always develop to suit the environment available so of course any life here appears ideally suited. The WTS twists this to be proof that the universe was designed for us which is reverse logic.

We don't know yet if ours is the only environment that life could develop though - it seems that life is being found int he most extreme places imaginable that can survive anything so there is a good chance that if it's possible it will be probable.

May not be ET though.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Thanks for posting this info, Cofty.

It looks like a cracking article. I've only scanned it. I'll read it when I have time later ...

• Clambake
    Clambake

God

I hate when people fake an interest in all things science just to argue with theists. A thread like this is nothing more than bait to suck someone into a circular go nowhere argument where you can mock and ridicule someone’s beliefs.

• Simon
    Simon
    mock and ridicule someone’s beliefs

so ... is it wrong that I always write that under "hobbies" on forms?

Beliefs are there to be mocked. If people don't want them to be mocked they should just think them ... at home or in church.

This describes my reasons why: Freedom, Free speech, Censorship, Religion and Tight Pants

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit