Had an interesting weekend

by iwasblind 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• iwasblind
    iwasblind

What an interesting weekend.

Went to a "worldly" conference for work. I met the most amazing people with so many different beliefs. Even so I shared and spoke about God freely and without being judged. It was so liberating and got me thinking how hard it is to actually speak about spiritual matters with JW's.

Also, I was house by a "wordly" person and their family and guess what - they are not on drugs, family falling apart, etc... Also did a tour where a preacher from another faith gave me a $40 bible as a gift.

This got me thinking how the "fallback" position for all JW's is the love amongst the brotherhood. Well I just experienced a brotherhood without the BORG.

Any lurkers here, don't let them fool you that JW's are the only good people. When you open your mind and drop the boundaries you will see that you are surrounded by really wonderful people in this world.

Praise God for leading and helping me understand true love and spirituality!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    iwas - This got me thinking how the "fallback" position for all JW's is the love amongst the brotherhood. Well I just experienced a brotherhood without the BORG.

And there's more where that came from. People are people regardless of religion or whatever boxes they put themselves in.

the "fallback" position for all JW's is the love amongst the brotherhood.

It keeps them in the mental slavery of the cult.

• just fine
    just fine
    This was a great discovery for me as well. I have had more genuine kindness showed to me by non-JW's than I ever did by JW's. Also non-JWs don't expect everyone to agree. It's refreshing!
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Stealth
    Stealth

When I went through one of the toughest periods in my life after divorce it was my worldly co-workers who showed me more kindness than anyone at the kingdom hall.

Most all of the JWs knew I was going through divorce, but offered no kind words, just held me at a distance because they just wasn't sure about the why, other than rumors etc. A real lack of love.

Then, when I had a son with a drug problem, I went with him to some NA meetings. What a contrast that other denominations would open their doors to complete strangers in an effort to help them. What help would we get from JWs? Kick him to the curb and shun him. That is not the kind of help addicts need.

Thanks for sharing your story.

• krejames
    krejames

This was a great discovery for me as well. I have had more genuine kindness showed to me by non-JW's than I ever did by JW's. Also non-JWs don't expect everyone to agree. It's refreshing!

Agreed!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes indeed!

There ARE genuinely nice people in "the world"!

Amazing really that this is such a revelation to us....but I guess we have been told all our lives just "how evil every non witness is" that it affects us....

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I can't say God and religion or conversation about such have featured much in my work conferences... spirits may have been amongst us, mostly Scottish. And miracles may have been performed with wine that matched Jesus'. While that exhibits ongoing practical adherence to Proverbs 31:6-7, nothing has gotten remotely close to talking God or gifting bibles.

Do you work in a religious sector, is is that just how folks are in your industry / neck of the woods?

But, yep, the world is a much,much more accepting and helpful place that the JW's 'paradise on earth' with the 'gifts in men'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit