New Material Available in the Study Bible

by Wonderment 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

MAY 11, 2023
    WHAT’S NEW

New Material Available in the Study Bible

New material has been added to the study edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures on jw.org and in JW Library. This release features new media gallery content. A video entitled “The Wall in Between” helps to explain the apostle Paul’s words at Ephesians 2:14. There are also new images, such as “From Olive to Oil” (Luke 10:34), “Petra—The Nabataean Capital” (2 Corinthians 11:32), and “He Was Made Manifest in Flesh” (1 Timothy 3:16). In addition, the Glossary has been updated with new entries that define some titles and names used in the appendixes of the New World Translation, such as the Leningrad Codex, Biblia Hebraica, and William Tyndale. Finally, Appendix C4 has been updated. There are 25 new J-References—sources that support the use of the divine name in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

the problem is the explanations may not be correct, but JWs will take it for gospel ( that written because of the study notes ( scripture gymnastics ) that were with Matt 26:28

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting video on the wall in the temple. This is good material they are producing. Mainstream scholars sometimes connect the removal of the wall in Eph 2.14 with the bringing in of the “other sheep” in John 10.16, but JWs don’t make that link because they identify the “other sheep” as non anointed Christians, rather than Gentile Christians.

The article on the corruption of 1 Tim 3.16 to support the Trinity, complete with manuscript photo, is pretty good too.

I’m a bit disappointed they haven’t released the notes for Hebrews yet. It’s taking ages for them to complete the Study Bible for the New Testament alone. Goodness knows if they’ll ever compete the OT.

Interesting that they’ve added yet more J references. These sources are getting pretty obscure now, citing manuscripts in rare collections and so on. Back in the early days, when there were only a couple of dozen J references, some of them were items that a regular JWs could purchase and consult themselves. Not so with the rare ones they’ve been coming out with lately - there are a couple of Welsh translations thrown in too, although one of them digital only at this point. Why are they going to such extreme lengths to track down and document these rare New Testaments that use the divine name? I think they’ve proved their point already that other translators have used the divine name when translating the NT. Is there much utility to adding yet more to the list? Somebody at bethel seems to have gone to a lot of effort to find these rare items. Maybe it’s somebody’s full time job. Fred Franz used to rely on the first few J references as a loose guide, or at least corroboration, when making his own judgement about where to use the divine name in the NWT. I don’t think the 300+ versions they now have listed can reasonably be used that way. The entries these days mention the divine name was used a few times and so on. I wonder if they are going to the same lengths to collate all the instances of the divine name in each of the sources, as they used to. Again, that is a huge workload. (Although I guess AI will soon be able to do the whole lot.)

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

SBF,

"I’m a bit disappointed they haven’t released the notes for Hebrews yet. It’s taking ages for them to complete the Study Bible for the New Testament alone. Goodness knows if they’ll ever compete the OT."

I also noticed audio recordings of the books of the Bible into other languages are going slow-as-molasses. I wonder if cost-cutting efforts have anything to do with this.

Your comments are always welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit