Couple sues McDonald's over tough bagel.

by LuckyLucy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy
    Posted on Sat, Feb. 01, 2003
    Couple sue McDonald's over tough bagel
    Associated Press

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. - A couple is suing the franchisee of a McDonald's restaurant, claiming an improperly prepared bagel damaged the husband's teeth and their marriage.

John and Cecelia O'Hare sued Friday for unspecified damages more than $15,000. They alleged the McDonald's, owned by Johnstone Foods Inc., was negligent and violated an "implied warranty that the food sold was reasonably fit for human consumption."

They contend in the suit that John O'Hare broke teeth and bridgework on Feb. 1, 2002 when he bit into the bagel. The suit did not say what exactly was wrong with the bagel.

The suit alleges the wife "lost the care, comfort, consortium and society of her husband." The couple's attorney, Tim Warner, did not return telephone messages left at his office.

Tracey Johnstone, owner of Johnstone Foods, said she never before had a bagel complaint and had no idea how it could have been prepared in a way that would damage teeth.

"It's a bagel," she said.

was negligent and violated an "implied warranty that the food sold was reasonably fit for human consumption."

Come on! everyone knows their food is not fit to eat!

Think I'll go to McDonalds for breakfast this morning,need an extra 15,000 dollars.

• Realist
    Realist

if they would sue for 15.000.000$ than they would have a chance!!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have no tolorance for people such as this. What a couple of friggen idiots.

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

People will sue for anything!! That's right...they shouldn't even be eating there!! That wife is slowly killing her own husband off by contributing to his eating that junk.

• Sargon
    Sargon

People will sue for anything!! People will sue for anything!! People will sue for anything!! People will sue for anything!!

How true LostDiamond. This is one of the biggest problems facing North Americans. We have scumbag, ambulance chasing lawyers running around encouraging people to sue over any imagined transgression. Most of these are just peoples own stupiity. Threat of lawsuits make it difficult for any business to operate. The only people getting fat over this are the lawyers and insurance companies. This has got to stop somewhere.

• Realist
    Realist

sargon,

the problem is not that people sue...the problem is for what they sue and win! 5 million bucks for a coffee thats supposedly too hot etc.

that does a great deal of damage to the economy.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Someone is going to need to enlighten me, how does broken dentures ruin a marriage ? Go get the damn things fixed. Besides, having dentures myself, I know how tough it is to eat a bagel. About the time I think I've heard everything !!

• reporter
    reporter

Actually, I would be more supportive of this case, than that hot coffee nonsense. When you go and put something hot between your legs, what do you expect would happen?

In this case, it will probably go to settlement for a few bucks to fix the bridge work. Big deal.

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

I was just waiting to read the part that said they were JW's on a coffe and bagel break from sat. morning service.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Unless Mickey D's settles out of court, I do not see how that couple will win this. The little old lady that sued for the coffee spill suffered 3rd degree burns. Since when you get older your skin gets thinner and more easily torn or damaged, that is a much different case. This case, from what I am able to discern from the article, is bull crap.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit