Question; Are Astronauts Heros?

by whyhideit 6 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Since the Columbia burned up, I have heard many references in the news to those Astronauts being Heroes. What I wonder though, what makes a person a hero? Is every astronauts a hero, or do they need to die to be a hero?

This is something I have been thinking about all week and wondering, "what makes them such a hero?" It could be that this is just a way of making us feel better. I wonder though, is their another word that would fit better? So that we could leave the word hero to those who it actually fits.

Hero ~ A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life

I was reading today in the paper, that the Astronauts were doing science experiments. I don't know if that fits this definition.

• Mystla
    Mystla

I think that going up in a shuttle that old was pretty heroic.

Sarcasm aside, I think that doing something potentialy life threatening for the good of others (I think that the space program qualifies) should be considered heroic.

Mystla

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Does that mean that all people who have gone to space are heroes? The space shuttle to me seems a lot more high tech and safe, then the rockets they sent John Glenn up in, in the 50's and 60's.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I think living and surviving in this world is heroic. I mean, are we not living and spinning in space and we don't have to have space suits on? The astronauts enjoyed what they were doing. They knew it involved risks. My question is, in what way has the quality of live 'improved' on earth with their space missions?

Guest 77

• Been there
    Been there

That's an interesting question, Whyhideit.

I don't seem to be able to put the word, "HERO" next to their names. If it is there, in general, then anyone who does a job they love and want to do........and dies from that job is a hero? Now the thought of the firefighters that rushed into the World Trade Center on 9/11 comes to mind. They died doing their job, they would all tell you they love their job. Are they heros if they don't die? or only if they do? They were all called heros. A nurses aid slips and falls on a puddle of pee rushing to change a wet patient. She dies. Is she a hero? Maybe to the patient, but not the rest of the world. A few years ago I was to have surgery. My doctor, because of her love and kindness was my hero, my angel. Was she a hero? Only to me.

The man who came up with Penicillin (if only by accident) is a HERO. The man who came up with the Polio vaccine is a HERO. The inventor of the Small Pox vaccine.......a HERO. Are they thought of as such by the general public? No! But they have saved millions of lives.

The word "HERO" has many meanings. In this case for the Astronauts the word "HERO" means "Pretty Damn Unlucky"

• neyank
    neyank

I don't know if I would label them heroes.

I think adverturers would be a better label.

Also explores would be a good term.

A hero to me is someone that puts their own life on the line to save others.

The Astronauts did what they did for the adventure of it.

Thru out history the have been many adventurers.

Marco Polo, Columbus,ect....ect......

These people may have done some heroic deeds,I don't know but for the most part, they were adventures.

The space program is about exploring space.

Brings to mind the Star Treck theme.

To Boldly Go where No One Has Gone Before.

neyank

• DblOSmith
    DblOSmith

Honestly, I don't think they are. Brave, beneficial, cool, yes... but not heroes. Firefighters are heros. Doesn't get much more heroic than that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit