It's Not The Dark That Kills You

by compound complex 3 Replies latest watchtower medical

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

While I was watching a program on islands of the Pacific Ocean, the three largest islands in the world were mentioned. Little have I ever thought of Greenland, the largest island in the world. I decided to learn a little more about this arctic hunk of frozen land, which had no relevance to the program on tropical paradise other than it's an island.

The name of the article I read online includes the words of the topic title above. The inuit people live off the land and sea but have been uprooted because the government can't subsidize all the tiny villages. The displaced citizens are moved to tenements in the cities. For more than 30 years, the suicide rate in Greenland has been among the highest in the world, mostly among young men, often in "cluster suicides." They are removed from the work and customs of their fathers and grandfathers. Joblessness and drinking are pervasive.

Because there are so few professional mental health workers available and travel is difficult and expensive, some concerned but untrained citizens have volunteered their time and energy to help with suicide hotlines. It is heartrending, the loss of young lives, whether by another's hand or by one's own.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/04/21/474847921/the-arctic-suicides-its-not-the-dark-that-kills-you

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I've known about Greenland's suicide rate, but not the cause. Cutting people off from what they know as "life" makes life seem meaningless.

I think about myself and how the WT took away value and meaning to life. Not supposed to cherish things or ways of life that are "counterproductive" and will disappear when the New Order gets here. Then you are cast out when you realize they have it wrong. Stranded without the past or a family.

How sad for everyone.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I think about myself and how the WT took away value and meaning to life. Not supposed to cherish things or ways of life that are "counterproductive" and will disappear when the New Order gets here. -- days of future passed

Thank you, dofp.

Yes, we have realized how "they" got it all so wrong. Result? We are cast out. Although I have grown emotionally and get what's going on, nevertheless, it hurts that all my efforts to reach out to loved ones are ignored.

Your post is appreciated.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Co-Co - Greenland is indeed fascinating.

Its name apparently comes from the Norse Vikings who named it more than a thousand years ago.

They called it 'green land' as a way of enticing further viking settlers. Of course, this would be described today as blatant false advertising. Greenland isn't green!

I read somewhere that some geologists believe that Greenland isn't one island but instead is made up of several large islands.

I think it may be difficult to tell because Greenland has its own year-round icecap that is miles thick.

If someone more knowledgeable could correct or update me I'd be grateful ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit