"Come be my disciple...." Matt. 11:28-30

by kes152 3 Replies latest jw friends

• kes152
    kes152

Quote:

"Are we disciples because WE ARE disciples OR because someone told us we are?" - GBK 2001

Very thought provoking quote.. The spirit inside me 'moved' me to respond to that.

The Master invited:

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Get under my yoke WITH me, and learn from me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

The Greek quotes the phrase "learn from me" as "become my disciple." The Master invited ones to literally come to him and follow him and to learn from him. Listen to the things he says, obey his voice, watch him in action, and repeat what he does.

Although the Master was killed in the flesh, he has been resurrected from the dead and now lives for evermore in spirit. He told his disciples:

"I will not leave you bereaved: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world beholdeth me no more; but ye behold me: because I live, ye shall live also." (John 14:18, 19)

When the Master was killed, they were "desolated" or abandoned/orphaned for a short period of time (3 days). But he told them, "the world will behold me no more, but you WILL behold me."

The world beheld him by being able to hear him, see him, ask him questions and get answers back. In this SAME way his disciples WILL behold him. They will hear him literally, ask him questions and get answers directly from him, talk to him, and be able to obey him. They are also able to even see his figure, and thus "behold" him.

In the same way the Christ said anyone who wishes to come to him CAN beold him. Anyone may hear his actual voice, be able to ask him anything and actually hear his answers. AND behold his figure. (John 14:21) And because the Master "lives" they also will "live" by means of the 'water of life' of which they will drink from him after they put faith in him. (John 4:14, 7:37-39)

Having this type of relationship with the Christ enables anyone to easily "learn from him" and thus be "his disciple." You will literally "hear his sayings" thru the holy spirit, and be able to "remain in union" with him.

Becoming his disciple means you would likewise get "disciplined" or "trained" directly by him. "Disciple" meaning "trained" or "disciplined one." When you listen to the training and obey the discipline, you will bear "fruit." As you bear this "fruit" (righteousness) you will then "glorify the Father." Glory to the Father "glorifies the Son" and "proves yourself" truly HIS "disciple." (John 15:1-8; Heb. 12:7, 11)

Such a direct relationship is available by means of the free gift of holy spirit. Once that spirit is poured out upon you, you no longer worship God in a "physical way" (churches, etc.) but now you worship God "in spirit and in truth." Through holy spirit, the resurrected Christ will speak to you and guide you into all truth.

"Let him who has ears hear"

May you have peace,
    Aaron

• COMF
    COMF
    Yet a little while, and the world beholdeth me no more

May it come soon, my brother; may it come soon.

COMF

• Flip
    Flip

I’m sorry, Aaron but your New Age philosophy, although well meaning, has proven through thousands of years of its history to be an utter failure. Among other things it’s too easily used by unscrupulous characters for their own nefarious ends by manipulating others

Maybe it’s time to move over and give something else a try, say the Marxist-Leninist version of Communist doctrine; its history has been far more benign.

By the way you said, “Such a direct relationship is available by means of the free gift of holy spirit”. Apparently this “free gift” is now available by means of a computer and an Internet provider.

Flip

• willy_think
    willy_think

kes152,

well said, not the acual seeing and hearing of a man, but the workings of the holy spirit can and do live in and gide us if we are in need.

but that is hard to accept by someone who has been under the heavy hamd of the WTB&TS inc. it is also easy to reject with a quick slam or name calling.

the ideas and opinions expressed in this post do not necessiarly represent those of the WTB&TS inc. or any of it's subsidiary corporations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit