Just Some Thoughts...

by cyrano 2 Replies latest jw friends

• cyrano
    cyrano

When I look back on my time spent in the Watchtower I realize how little I learned about some basic themes of the bible. I believe this had a lot to do with the awkward style of the NWT as well as the indoctrination process I went through. I often took the Watchtowers word for something just because I couldnt understand what I read in the NWT.

As an example look at 2 Cor 13:2, NWT version, "I have said previously and, as if present the second time and yet absent now, I say in absence to those who have sinned before and to all the rest, that if ever come again I will not spare."- WTF!? Now, take a look at the NIV version, "I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others."- Much better. The NWT is more literal here but the NIV is probably how it was understood at that time in the bible.

Of course there can be problems making verses clear in todays language. You may lose some accuracy of scripture. However, I see a bigger problem with literal translations such as the NWT. It is at most times so hard to follow and understand that one has a hard time learning anything. To me this is what enables the Watchtower to pull the wool over most if its members. They believe what the Watchtower says because they cant make heads or tails out of the scriptures. Just my thoughts though, hope everyone is having a great day!

Edited by - cyrano on 7 February 2003 22:13:32

• Francois
    Francois

Your thoughts have dogged others ever since the NWT came out back in the fifties. First of all, there are no qualifed bible translators in the WTBTS, then nor now. They're guided by the Holy Spirit, man, and that's all they need. They know as much about Aramaic and Greek as I know about birthin' babies.

And literal? My god. Once they've decided that a word means something, then Jesus Christ himself couldn't get them to change it. So in the phrase "he rode off on his light camel..." the word rendered "light" becomes the same throughout the entire text from Matthew to Revelation. That, I submit, is an absurdity on its face.

HOWEVER, having said that, there are many places in the bible where the word (which it is too late in the night to look up for this note) is translated as "within" and there is no hint of a variation. The WT translation is as brittle and unyielding as everything else the WT touches, EXCEPT for the scripture where The Master is telling the Pharisees that "the kingdom is in your midst." W-T-F???? What happened to "within"? I wants to know what happened to within.

I'll tell you what happened to within. If the scripture read "The kingdom of heaven is within you" then what need would there be - ever - for an organization of self important, vile little men to make up absurd rules and regulations intefering with each and every aspect of your private life? What then would be the function of an "organization" of these men to interpose themselves directly between men and their savior, claiming you needed to go through THEM to get to the savior even though this same bunch translated the scripture that said only, ONLY Christ was the mediator between men and God? Of course they've got a quick ten week training course that will remove any vestigal indication that you've got a vital, functioning brain of your own, and you don't need that committee of a dozen or so senile octogenarians in Broklynn telling you every damn move you can and must make in order to get into their glorious thousand-year Reich, um rule. A thousand years with Jehovah's Witnesses? I'D RATHER BE DEAD.

I sincerely hope, cyrano my friend, that this helps and inspires you to greater heights of translating your shit for yourself and not depending on those sonsabitches in Broklynn. BTW, have you read the original Cyrano? Funnier than screen doors on a submarine that book is, funny as hell. Until the last act. Then it becomes tragic. After it becomes tragic, it becomes damn near unbearable. But Roxanne, knowing on which side of her heart the butter is located (to mix and match a metaphor) comes through in the end valiantly. A good read.

Well speak again tomorrow or sometime I feel sure as you continue to kick 'em, punch 'em, and gum 'em all the way to perdition. Go for it my friend. Don't let 'em get away.

non carborundum illigitimi

francois

Edited by - francois on 7 February 2003 22:42:58

• cyrano
    cyrano

Well put Francois!

I agree, I'd rather be six foot under than spend a thousand years with those nuts (jeeze.. 1000 years... of watchtower bliss.. please shoot me! lol)

I always found it disturbing how they could take a scripture and completely contradict what it says. For instance, 1 Tim 2:5, " For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." Now, if you read those accompanying scriptures along with this one, it is obvious Paul is reffering to all mankind not just a select few.

Anyway, good to be out of that mindtrap, cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit