My head just exploded!!

by Crazyguy 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

https://youtu.be/9XXco63RIzg

Watch the video , he says that the cults teaching are not based on the Bible and then provides the quote.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Sigh.. the quotes dont say exactly what he says. The point was that the new world translation wasnt translated to form the foundation of witness teaching not that the bible isnt the foundation. This type of dishonesty does no one favors

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Ok but what about the second part of the quote, sounds like it's all about the watchtower first then the Bible ?.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The video is a bit misleading, but the second quite, which are from the first two sentences in the answer to the question, SEEMS to say that JW beliefs are founded on the Watchtower. If that quote is used separately from the rest of the answer, that's the idea someone would get. I'm pretty sure that's not what they were going for in the answer, though.

Of course, that said, we all know that if the Watchtower says one thing and the Bible says another, JWs will favor the Watchtower over the Bible. My wife made it very clear to me a few years back that she will always side with what the Watchtower says, regardless of what the Bible says.

Here's the full article:

● Is it true that the teachings of Jehovah’s witnesses are based on the New World Translation of the Bible?

Up until 1950 the teachings of Jehovah’s witnesses were based mainly upon the King James Version of the Bible, but in the course of years the publications of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in English alone have quoted from more than seventy different Bible translations produced in Christendom. This does not take into account the fact that our literature is published in more than 125 languages and that these foreign languages do not have the English New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. In all parts of the world Jehovah’s witnesses are proving their Bible-based beliefs to the people by the copy of the Bible that the householder may have or that he may recognize as authoritative. So the New World Translation comes along merely as a confirmation of the correctness of the teachings of Jehovah’s witnesses and does not constitute the foundation of their teachings.

The fact that the New World Translation bears out teachings of Jehovah’s witnesses does not prove that the teachings of Jehovah’s witnesses are founded upon this Bible translation. Since 1879 The Watchtower has been published, setting forth the things that Jehovah’s witnesses believe and teach. The New World Translation, which the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has accepted as a gift from the New World Bible Translation Committee, first began to be published in part in 1950, and volumes of it have been coming out from time to time since then. Consequently, the formulation of the Bible doctrine of Jehovah’s witnesses did not wait upon the New World Translation, beginning in 1950.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

leaving_quietly - "...My wife made it very clear to me a few years back that she will always side with what the Watchtower says, regardless of what the Bible says. "

Now, there's a "Jesus Facepalm" moment if I ever saw one. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit