Bashing JW's?. Why not bash Christianity instead?

by anti-absolutism 9 Replies latest jw friends

• anti-absolutism
    anti-absolutism

I've read a lot of things on this and other web sites that condemn JW's, and I agree that JW's have a HUGE spiritual awakening coming to them, but I think Christianity as a whole has that coming to them.

People have compared what they see in the JW org. to the Inquisition for example. I agree, but have they forgotten that the Inquisition and MANY other EVIL things have transpired during so-called Christianity. I do not for a second support terrorism or anything mean that any organisation inflicts on mankind, but why do we, as Christians, find it so easy to condemn other religions when Christians have been as guilty as all others.

If we want to follow Christ, that in itself is a very noble thing, for what he taught was truly peaceful, yet great strife and divisions have been created by people purporting to follow his example.

Ultimately, most people are doing what they BELIEVE is the right thing to do. Although it is hard for me to remember that because my entire family shuns me for not going back to the JW faith, it causes much less inner turmoil in me to accept that they are at least well intentioned.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts would be appreciated.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Really hard things need hammering to make a change - or I suppose a furnace.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

After being tangled up with the wtbts I will never become a part of organized religion again as long as I live. No sense in being taken advantage of twice. Bug

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Demarcation, old boy - this is a JW site.

• Brummie
    Brummie

MY thought is that Christianity and Christendom are not joined at the hip. Christianity is a relationship with a Person (Christ) not a religious organisation.

For what its worth, Christendom has a 2000 year history and more has been said condemning it than has been said about JWS. JWs have only 130 year history and look at the mess, imagine if it had a 2000 year history?

Naturally on a exjw board the focus is going to be on the Watchtower, but that wouldnt be the case anywhere else. Plus, imo, Christianity has about the same amount of condemnation here as does the WT.

My 1pence worth

Brummie

• crownboy
    crownboy

I'm definitely an equal opportunity basher.

(MY 500th POST!!!!)

• Satanus
  • Gizmo
    Gizmo

it causes much less inner turmoil in me to accept that they are at least well intentioned.

Well, I'm happy for you, it's quite the reverse for me, I see them for what they are, manipulative, controlling, and Liars.

And it gives me inner peace to know I'm no longer part of the LIE.

Who said "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem"?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I do not believe that Christianity and the JW's are the same thing. I am a Christian myself, but I don't believe that means that I must belong to some organization or religion. Jesus taught that the road to salvation was through him, not some man made organization.

People are people regardless of race or nationality, and they will fight for countless causes. Doesn't mean that all are right, nor does it mean all are wrong. Being Christian doesn't mean that automatically you do no wrong, as we well know.

So to me, to label ALL of something good or bad, does not make sense. Whether that be JW's in general, Christians, or members of any certain race, nationality, career, etc. I judge people on their character, period.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Brummie,

MY thought is that Christianity and Christendom are not joined at the hip. Christianity is a relationship with a Person (Christ) not a religious organisation.

For what its worth, Christendom has a 2000 year history and more has been said condemning it than has been said about JWS. JWs have only 130 year history and look at the mess, imagine if it had a 2000 year history?

Your "1pence worth" is worth far more than that, it's "spot on". To the Dub mind, Christianity (in this context) and Christendom are synonymous. But then again, to the Dub, Jehovah and the WTS are synonymous, so we shouldn't put too much confidence in that assertion. A dub cannot get rid of a mindset that has this fixation with organisations.

Well, at least old Ozzie will agree with you, anyway!

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit