GUNS???

by Jimmer 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

I've always wondered, what does that organization of stiff shirts teach and/or believe about hunting? Target shooting? Gun ownership?
    I was in the JW's as a kid but never got exposed to this issue. I now target shoot and have hunted. Where are my lost childhood buddies on these issues?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I think this is a question about different standards, cultural differences and where you live.

When I moved to Minnesota I was surprised that a large number of JW's including elders were hunters. I saw several photographs of "brothers" with their trophies. I don't think hunting deer for the table is wrong at all. In many ways deer have a far better life than farm cattle and pigs. If they aren't hunted with a what else will cull large populations...starvation and disease?

Growing-up in the UK even fishing was frowned on since it was considered that anglers are sport fisherman.

I can't remember much being said against hunting for food. Handgun ownership is always cast in a bad light and statements about crime frequently mentioned. No JW can carry a firearm as part of his job, (police, security officer) I think that is either a DF offense or at least self DAing. I guess the gray area is DNR employees who carry rifles for animal control, they are not likely to use weapons on people.

I am no longer a JW, I enjoy fishing.

THirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Jimmer;

A dub who carries a hand gun cannot have any privileges in the congregation. Riffles for hunting seem to be tolerated in some areas. I wonder what they would do to the apostle Peter today for using a modern weapon of his day to slice down the middle of a slaves head ,but missed and caught his ear? J18:10
    Living by the sword? Couldn't that mean not using it for dishonest gain or criminal means?
    Self defense and defense of others seemed appropriate on this occasion.

HCM

• larc
    larc

When I was in years ago, hunting was not permitted in Ohio. My wife's father gave up hunting when he became a Witness.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

As I recall, sometime in the 1980s there was a WT article that came down very hard on ownership of firearms. At the time I read it it seemed to be presented as an outright prohibition, but I don't remember if it was yet another disfellowshipping offense.

Of course, the WTBTS itself does not heed its own advice and has no problem hiring very well-armed guards to protect its carloads of cash transported from assembly contribution boxes to the bank.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

[Trying to fix up an accidental multiple posting.]

Prior to the "new light" about the evils of gun ownership, I do recall that it was at least somewhat acceptable to own firearms for hunting purposes and that any animals shot were to be eaten. Likewise, fishing was accepted as long at the fish were eaten. Hunting and fishing for sport purposes only had been forbidden for a long time.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

[Trying to fix up an accidental multiple posting.]

Another reason for the WTBTS sanctions against firearms ownership is their fear of bad publicity if they permitted a member to use a gun for himself/herself, but at the same time forbidding them to use a gun to protect their country by serving in the military.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Come to think of it, I realized that my Dad used to go hunting alot when I was younger (70's) with my Grandfather. Then it seemed like all of the sudden it stopped. There were alot of brothers that hunted when I was younger but none now.

There are a very few that still fish. I wonder when exactly the Society came down on Hunting and Fishing?

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Slipn'

There are a very few that still fish. I wonder when exactly the Society came down on Hunting and Fishing?

I am not sure they have come down on fishing. Wasn't there a Watchtower illustration a couple of years back showing a boy fishing off the dock in the "New System"(tm)? I guess as it was the new system he was fishing for sea Cucumber or maybe Orange roughy.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit