C of C & ISOCF

by Gig 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

Question for all of you that have read both of Ray's books, how much redundancy (for lack of a better word) is there? Can it be said that they are two separate and equally valuable books or does ISOCF just add to C of C? How would you describe the theme of both, or possibly contrast them?

I know this sounds totally uninformed and possibly lazy, I'm just interested in the view of others. Also, would you agree that if there was one single book that by itself had the best chance of reaching a JW, it would be one of these? If so or if not, which one?

• crownboy
    crownboy

I don't think there is a great deal of redundancy in the books.

ISoCF deals almost exclusively with refuting JW doctrines from a biblical standpoint, by showing how they misinterpreted, or otherwise have taken scriptures out of context to fulfill their own purposes. Franz includes very interesting antecdotes, including some Governing Body conversations, to buttress his points. I personally enjoyed the chapters on blood, and how they misinterpret the "preaching mandate", the most.

CoC also deals with some doctrinal issues, but not so much, and they are seperate issues from what was talked about in ISoCF. CoC basically covers the reasons for Ray Franz eventually leaving the JW's, including some very glarinly unjust policies (the Mexico/ Malawi situation really upset me when I read it). The final chapters recounts Franz's explusion from the religion in copius detail; I practically could not put it down when I read that part initially, and I've re-read that part of the book 2 or 3 times subsequently. He covers the 1914 doctrine just superfically enough for you to understand its gravity, but Carl Olof Jonsson's book is a better resource on this particular issue (and infact is recommended by Franz).

Even though CoC is the older book, I read ISoCF first because when I ordered the two books together, it only took 2 days for the bookstore to get ISoCF ( another local outlet had one), but CoC took 7 weeks to back order from the publisher, as they were totally out of stock. I didn't loose anything by reading them in that order, because as I said earlier, they really deal with seperate issues altogether.

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi Gig,

They are very different books. C of C reads like a story whereas ISOCF is more like a text/reference book. Both are excellent in their own way but ISOF is really for those who still want to remain Christians after leaving the Watch Tower Cult, while anyone can enjoy C of C no matter what your post JW religious interests are. I am now an Atheist so I was not as interested in a reference book for non-organizational Christianity which is what ISOCF is. In ISOCF Ray continues to make great points about how wrong the WTB&T Society are on many issues and I found it interesting for that reason but it was not as "fun" a read as C of C. They are great companion books on this cult and compliment each other rather than being redundant. If you are not that intersted in being a post JW Christian and you could only read one, I'd say read C of C. If you needed a book to enlighten a doubting JW it would also be C of C in my opinion. If you needed lots of healing after the JW experience I'd say read them both. The more knowledge the better I say.

Edited by - Liberty on 6 February 2003 17:48:50

• Simon
    Simon

I think Crisis of Conscience is more about Ray Franz's personal story / journey whereas In Search of Christian Freedom is more about the organisation and what it does.

Both complement each other IMHO.

• Buster
    Buster

After I read CofC, I wondered just how much he could have to say to another book of 700 pages (I'm not gonna get up to verify). But I found ISOCF to be almost completely new information. Read 'em both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit