The Saddam Hussein Interview (British Channel 4)

by Drue 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Drue
    Drue

The Saddam Hussein Interview

At the weekend, the veteran labour politican Tony Benn travelled to Baghdad to meet and interview the Iraqi President. Tonight we hear why - according to Saddam - Iraq has no interest in war and possesses NO weapons of mass destruction.

Here is the transcript:

http://www.channel4.com/news/home/z/stories/20030204/saddam_benn.html

• Simon
    Simon

Interesting comments / analysis after it were along the lines of:

Those wanting war could use it to justify the war while those who wanted peace could also claim it gave good reasons not to attack.

I didn't watch it myself, just saw the analysis afterwards. I think Tony Benn is a decent geezer.

• JH
    JH

Iraq has WMD, because they said if the US attacks, they will regret it and go away in bodybags. That can only be done if he has WMD. So he has them.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

hmmmmmm, the guilibility of people. Reminds me of Neville Chamberlain visiting and believing Adolf Hitler over 65 years ago. He returned home with a worthless piece of paper proclaiming 'peace in our time'... Months later all hell broke loose.

• Xander
    Xander

they said if the US attacks, they will regret it and go away in bodybags. That can only be done if he has WMD.

Really? Iraq is so backwards they won't be able to kill a single US soldier without WMD?

Read his quote again:

tell them that the Iraqis are brave too.

Tell the British people if the Iraqis are subjected to aggression or humiliation they would fight bravely. Just as the British people did in the Second World War and we will defend our country as they defended their country each in its own way.

Granted, what he says and does may well be different, but this doesn't SOUND like a quote that would be made by someone hiding behind a shield of WMD. It sounds more like something one would say if they expect to go down fighting on principle.

In any case, another interesting quote:

It seems that this argument has appealed to some US administrations especially the current one that if they control the oil in the Middle East, they would be able to control the world. They could dictate to China the size of its economic growth and interfere in its education system and could do the same to Germany and France and perhaps to Russia and Japan.

Not something I had really thought about. If the US does occupy Iraq, and tries to remain friends with the Saudis and Kuwaitis....

Well, that could solve our China and NK problems at the same time, now, couldn't it? But, *we* wouldnt' do something like THAT, now would we.....

(not saying I agree, but it is an interesting angle to consider. I guess we'll find out for sure round this time next year.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit