What constitutes a Hero?

by wasasister 7 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

A friend and I recently had this conversation in email. I wonder what you might think....

He says:

I feel very bad for everybody involved with the project, the families, etc. As a male child of the 60s I grew up enthralled at the whole NASA project -- building Gemini models, posters on the wall, "where were you on 7/20/69", etc. So any space accident hits me right in the heart.

But I cringe when I hear the word "heroes" bandied about in the context of a dangerous job. It seems that "heroic" is an adjective that should be reserved for extraordinary efforts made at great personal cost to protect, preserve or enhance the lives and/or health of others. "Hero" has degenerated into "someone who got hurt/killed doing something that I wasn't willing to do." Take 9.11 for example. There is substantial evidence that scores of firefighters disobeyed direct orders from their commanding officers to stay out of the buildings. They died in the collapse. "Heroes"?

You can't blame the media for running with a spectacular story of human loss complete with witnesses and multiple camera angles. Maybe if it had been a cloudy day, or the shuttle had disappeared over the north Pacific without a trace, the coverage might have been a little more subdued. But it still wouldn't have made the astronauts heroes, at least the way I interpret it.

She replied:

The individual in the WTC who stayed with a woman in a wheel chair when they could have escaped; the firemen who kept climbing those stairs when everyone else was running down; and much as I hate to admit it (because of over-coverage by the media), those men and women on the last flight of 9/11 who tried to stand up and DO something, knowing they were probably going to die in the attempt. These people are, in my estimation, heroes.

There are also many who are never heard of or recognized for their heroic deeds. The single mom (like my mother) who, instead of living off welfare, finds some way to impart a decent life and self-respect to her kids. The guy who stops at an accident scene and renders aid, knowing he might get sued or be injured himself. The father who sticks around and is part of his kid's life, despite the fact he might do better for himself if he took off. Couples who adopt a kid with special needs - or five or six. There is this kind of thing happening every day, and those brave people NEVER are honored with flowers, or lowered flags, or plaques on walls. Schools will not be named for them.

Then, there are people who get up every day and do what they have to do; because it might be the right thing to do; because it's the best they can do. I look up to those people as well.

End of rant.

Like to hear what makes a Hero in your book.

Wasa

Edited by - wasasister on 5 February 2003 0:59:33

• heathen
    heathen

wasasister-- Websters dictionary defines hero as - one greatly regarded for their achievements or qualities. I guess according to that they have indeed applied the word correctly. I don't think they suddenly became a hero when they died . They were considered the best in the world . It is fair to say though that each individual has the right to chose who their hero is .These people were not my hero and I am not ashamed of saying it . Like you said they were doing a job like anyone else in this world . They just happened to have a very cool job that many people would love to do with all the risks involved. I think you are right that there are many unsung heroes in the world who are maybe even despised by the general population because of ignorance.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

In my estimation, your friend is correct. Hero is a word greatly overused to sensationalize today. What and who is a hero relies greatly on the mind of the one perceiving the heroics. It can be the bravery of one who unflinchingly places him/herself in harms way. It can also be the mild spirited one who is always there for you to lean on when the need arises.

Lew W

• wasasister
    wasasister

It can also be the mild spirited one who is always there for you to lean on when the need arises.

Damn, Lew! You know where I can find me one of these?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Wasa, this board seems filled with them. My email is open if you ever need someone to rant too.

Lew W

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hi Wasa,

I know what a hero is not:

A hero is not someone who commits suicide to make a point.

A hero does not fly a plane into a building full of people or wear a bomb strapped to their back and get on a bus. A hero does kill in the name of God.

A hero does not swing a baseball bat or lob a football through a crowded stadium and go home with millions of dollars to spend on drugs. A hero does not sing to a packed amphiteater or ski down a mountain while fans cheer them on.

A hero pushes the human envelope. A hero risks their lives so that others may live, or learn or grow or dream. A hero sacrafices their well-being to do something that often will go unnoticed or unremembered and a hero won't care if they have scores of cheering fans or a large paycheck to compensate them.

The Columbia crew were heroes in my opinion. No more so than firefirghters, policemen or rescue workers, but definitely heroes. The space program is not an overpriced hobby, it's they key to the future of mankind. They represent the best that we can be and achieve and they should be honored as such.

JMO,

Silverleaf

• Gig
    Gig

I agree that the term hero is loosely defined because of its overuse. My thought is that a hero is someone that acts on someone else's need at great cost to him/her self. Unquestionably setting the right example for all of us. Courage and moral/ethical solidity is what sets the stage. I cannot take anything away from the Columbia crew, I admire and appreciate what they do so very professionally and with tremendous bravery. However I struggle to consider them heroes, at least on the level of the 9-11 firemen. They saved lives where I can't say the same for the astronauts. Yes, their deaths were a terrible loss and all the world agrees, so much so that I don't really oppose them being called heroes given the benefit of my doubt.

I am simply saying that the better definition (by example) of a hero would be the people who attacked the terrorists mid-flight or the firemen at the WTC. Maybe it (for me) hinges on protection, or the attempt to save someone's life, which doesn't (to me) apply to the Columbia crew..even as much as I respect them.

• meadow77
    meadow77

I think a hero is an ordinary person who does something extrordinary, especially to benefit others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit