UN letter to ex-jw site in Spain

by Marcos 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Marcos
    Marcos

Dont know if this information is old or of any value. I found it on a Yahoo! discussion board in Spain. It is an ex-witness group. I am assuming that there were many requests sent to the UN from either this group or from many Spanish-speaking people.

My translation follows. The original message in Spanish is attached at the bottom. The red text is from whoever posted this document on the Spanish website. http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/testigos/

Marcos

UNITED NATIONS

11 of Octubre

To Whom It May Concern:

Recently, the Department of NGOs (Non-governmental Organizations) has received numerous questions regarding the relationship of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York with the Department of Public Information (DPI). This organization applied for association with the DPI in 1991, and received membership in 1992. Upon acceptance of membership with the DPI, the Organization agreed to comply with the requirements of association, including support and acceptance of the principles of the Charter of the United Nations, and the requirement of creating and conducting definite programs of disseminating information among their members and with the general public, regarding the activities of the United Nations.

In October of 2001, The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York asked to terminate their association with the DPI. In accordance with their petition, the DPI decided to terminate the association of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York effective the 9 th of October, 2001

We appreciate your interest in the work of the United Nations.

Sincerely,

Paul Hoeffel

Director

NGO Section

Department of Public Information

-----------------------------------------

De: [email protected]
    Fecha: sb feb 1, 2003 5:38 am
    Asunto: Documento - PaulHoeffelespanol.htm

NACIONES UNIDAS

11 de Octubre de 2001

A Quien Pueda Interesar:

Recientemente la seccin de ONGs (Organizaciones No Gubernamentales) ha recibido numerosas preguntas sobre la relacin de La Sociedad Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York con el Departamento de Informacin Pblica (DPI). Esta organizacin solicit su asociacin con el DPI en 1991, y se le concedi en 1992. Al aceptar su asociacin con el DPI, la Organizacin acept acatar los criterios de asociacin, incluyendo el apoyo y respeto por los principios de la Carta de Naciones Unidas, y el compromiso para generar y conducir programas efectivos de informacin con sus miembros y con una audiencia mayor, acerca de las actividades de Naciones Unidas.

En Octubre de 2001, La Sociedad Watctower Bible and Tract Society de Nueva York, solicit la terminacin de su asociacin con el DPI. Atendiendo la solicitud, el DPI ha tomado la decisin de desasociar a la Sociedad Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York a partir del 9 de Octubre de 2001.

Apreciamos su inters en el trabajo de Naciones Unidas,

Sinceramente,

Paul Hoeffel
    Director
    Seccion de ONG
    Departmento de Informacin Pblica

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Marcos,

thanks about the news from Spain. It's great to know

that many, in Spain also, found about the United Nations

and the WTBS Inc. involvment ( which lasted more than

10 years). What will be interesting to know, is the reaction

caused by this matter in many Spanish congregations,

reaction of "mature " brothers and sisters, elders, MS,

CO, DO etc.

Could you give us some idea abot it?

Thanks again, greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hi Mac,

Sorry, never been to Europe. It's just that we in Latin America (I'm in Mexico) are divided from the Spanish by a common tongue . I probably should have posted a little differently. I found this document on the Spanish website but dont know if it was sent to the website or to an individual or even if it was translated from Spanish to English. I suspect it was written in Spanish because of the syntax used. Looks sort of like a transliteration into Spanish by a translator.

The website (the link was provided in my pst) is small. Not a lot of activity. But the posters who are from many Spanish-speaking countries, show the same disappointments and pain that we see here.

I can't even comment on the witnesses here in my country. I attended in the US and quit in the US. I do see witnesses here but decline to engage them in conversation. For me it is like trying to reason with a drunk. It leads nowhere. True believers can be so obtuse. My method is to just let people ask me what I think and why.

As I have posted before, my son is (nominally) a Mormon. I used to argue with him. No more. I let it go. He doesn't attend anymore. Still makes protestations about "going on my mission" but I think he sees my approach and beliefs as being more reasonable. Like the witnesses, I find the Mormons to be genuinely nice people, just mislead. I get along fine with them, the Bishop, the local President, et al. But they tend to leave me alone and not insist. Would be fine with the witnesses if they were like-minded.

As far as the UN thing, I haven't been able to work up much interest. Most witness things are of little interest to me now. However, I am interested in the scandals. I guess it sort of reenforces my feelings. One reason I left and one reason I left Bethel at the end of my 4 years (to the hour) was the lack of love. That one thing seems to continue to shine through.

If I find anymore items of interest, I will pass them along.

Worth noting, I often get e-mail from witnesses in Mexico and Spain who are suffering doubts about their religion. I posted some experiences on the Bethel Guestbook and the other guestbook on Randy's site. I did it in English but because of my name, people write to me in Spanish. Well this answer is already too long and too far off-topic. If you have any further questions though, I'll be watching.

Marcos

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Marcos,

thanks for the clarification. Maybe it was me who

misunderstood your comment.

Anyhow I do agree entirely your statement:

"but decline to engage them in conversation. For me it is like trying

to reason with a drunk. It leads nowhere. True believers can be so obtuse.

My method is to just let people ask me what I think and why."

Most of the time this way is the best way...!

Sad but true.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Thanks for taking the time to post this letter. When I first learned of the UN/NGO thing I was floored as we had been trained for years the UN was such a horrible organization. Now I'm wondering if there is a good bordello somewhere with a couple of books in a room that could be called a library. If you know of an establishment that fits this description please let me know. I'll ask my wife if I can join this "organization."

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hmmm Shutterbug,

ANYTHING is POSSIBLE...

• Loris
    Loris

Shutterbug

In Tampa, Florida there is a strip bar called The Library. I am sure that throws many spouces and parents of colledge students off. If there is one in the world there must be others NY maybe? I always thought it was a clever name. (I never went there myself)

Loris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit