A letter to my mom..re: Fifth Estate

by Valis 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Valis
    Valis

Well I did it...I sent my mom the following lwetter. I hope I wasn't too hateful and I was hoping to get some feedback from you all and have you done the same and with what results?

Dearest mother, I hope that my letter finds you well. I'm writing you to share some information that I think is important for you to see. You may not like it, it may be uncomfortable to watch or read, but just as you feel free to speak up about your faith when the opportunity arises, I feel compelled to share this with you. For several months I have been monitoring sexual abuse allegations within the Jehovahs Witness organization. To me there is a clear trend of non reporting of sexual abuse that stretches back for years and apparently still has happened. I'm glad to say that for the first time that I have read about, and trust me I have read about so many cases it's saddening, elders reported the abuse to CPS without being compelled by force or embarassment. You might say that all of these accounts are by disgruntled former members, and I would say yes disgruntled indeed. Especially after their treatment by the elders, other family members, and the folks in Brooklyn who run the show. As well, I find it ironic that those advocating change in the church are called Apostates, yet it is also believed that Jehovah cleans out his own organization of the disgusting thing, via those same Apostates, who will undoubtedly die in Armageddon. Ironic isn't it? I hope you take all this in the spirit it is intended and don't find my tone hateful, because I'm not trying to be that way at all. As a matter of fact I had reservations about sending these links to you, but I do have a conscience and really felt compelled.

In this link, elders report after calling society. A reflection of "new light", which undoubtedly means the recent protests in front of Bethel, and the work of people like Bill Bowen and several lawyers here and in the UK.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/sv/story/6028285p-6984534c.html

Judge chastises man, and his congregation for not reporting and dealing with the issue of sexual abuse of a young girl from the UK.

ttp://www.jehovahs-witness.com/media/clipping.jpg

A recent Canadian show like the Dateline episode exposing several cases of hiding the abuse.

http://www.sassquatch.com/images/Fifth_Estate_Spiritual_Shepherds.wmv

I love you and hope that this won't be upsetting to you and as an adult, a mother, and a christian you can look at them objectively and come to a conclusion of your own.

The Prodigal One,
    T.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Scully
    Scully

I think appealing to your mom the way you did is the only way to go. I hope she uses the opportunity to examine the issue objectively. Keep us all posted.

Love, Scully

• dottie
    dottie

I am very understanding of your frustrations as my mom as well is still "in". I was actually thinking of writing her a letter as well because we argued about the 5th Estate show when I called her to tell her about the show. She says that the apostates put a "bad spin" on everything and for me to not believe the things I read and hear becasue there are evil apostates behind it all. I think that your letter gets to the point without trying to seem like your "rubbing it in her face", which is what I've been trying to avoid doing with my own mom.

Good luck Valis.....hopefully she will see the true light, keep us posted on her reaction.

Dottie

Edited by - dottie on 1 February 2003 14:27:59

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Hi Valis. I wanted to acknowledge my feelings about the response to your Mother. I did'nt feel it was harsh or disrespectful.The letter is about educating about the reality of Sexual abuse in the org. I am assuming that it took alot of thought and energy to put in words.

I kinda see the letter as away of planting seeds with your Mother. Some will sprout , some will grow and end up with beautiful flowers. And may be it will lay dormant. Out come of our planting is that its out of our control whether they will germinate. The planting was done.

One of many pieces of my recovery that I am working on is sending a letter to my ex-Mother-in-Law. By your example I have some idea of how to write this letter of my experience of abuse and my children and to educate about the realities of sexual abuse in the org.

My ex-Mother-in-law(JW) is very toxic person.The reality she abused my ex-husb. He himself is a perp.

Actually I want to rip her lips. But I won't act on it. I been sorting out what I need to say to her without me being disrespectful. I've come to the place where I can educate on the realities of Domestic violence and sexual abuse.

And to educate her about my experiences with SilentLambs.

I planted the seeds. I who has no control over how the seeds grow.

Its very healing for me to write and to put where it belongs. To let go of the ill feelings I have towards her. I've carried them too long.

Thank you Valis for the gift.

All the Best, Old Crow Woman

• foreword
    foreword

Nice letter, good choice of words and really non threatening. And no, it wasn't hateful, not at all.

If she sees that as apostate thinking, well someone has a problem wakening up.

Take care

• Valis
    Valis

Thanks to all for you comments. Just an update. I recieved a reply, but it was more like a gloss over and attempt to change the subject. I reminded her it wasn't something that should be ignored and again I urged her to look at it closely. We'll see I guess, but I have come to think of it in much the same way the JWs use the concept of blood guilt. If they don't preach the bad news of their kingdom to someone when they have the chance then Jehoba will not be happy come Armageddon time...same thing with the SL issue. If I don't inform when I can then my conscience bothers me...so much more hateful than dying at the hands of an uncaring, unmerciful god any day.

oldcrow...thanks for the compliment and I'm glad I can help you with something that can be a tender yet volatile situation.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit