Okay...what does a "walk away" do abo...

by logansrun 9 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Related to my thread about talking to JW family members who refuse to shun you LOL....

I'm a "walk away", no judicial action taken against me. As it stands, I would like to keep it that way to be able to have a cordial relationship with some family (and perhaps a couple friends). So here's a problem: At my former KH there sits in a drawer a document that could really screw me if I am in a life threatening situation. I was stupid enough to have a Durable Power of Attorney form that states that I will not accept bloood (although I wasn't stupid enough to not accept what the Society permits). There also are copies in the hands of a couple brothers (elders) who are not family members. Should I request to have these forms mailed to me so I can destroy them (obviously they are no longer my wishes)? Doing so would raise serious questions from the elders and could likely lead to an inquisition on why I want the forms and where I stand as to the Society. I don't want to get DFd if I don't have to, but I also do not want to be incapacitated and have my JW family pull out this legal form and I die from lack of a blood transfusion.

Any suggestions on how to handle this little conumdrum?

Bradley

• blondie
    blondie

Just do new POAs using a generic form non-witnesses use and file with your doctor and appropriate medical personnel confidentially. State that any other documents are null and void. I changed mine and did not ask for the old ones back. Just make sure the doctor, clinic, and hospital you go to have the up-to-date ones and you talk face to face with your primary physician.

Blondie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Should I request to have these forms mailed to me so I can destroy them (obviously they are no longer my wishes)? Doing so would raise serious questions from the elders and could likely lead to an inquisition on why I want the forms and where I stand as to the Society.

You are under no obligation to answer to them.

If they start asking questions, tell them that if anyone starts shunning you, you will sue them for slander and breaking the Clergy Privilege.

• metatron
    metatron

Remember to take your blood card out of your wallet also - in case you become unconscious

metatron

• Xander
    Xander

And don't carry your blood card with you, or any other means to identify you as a witness. If they have no reason to believe they must check for that form, odds are they won't. (IE., in order to check for it, they must firstly know you ARE a witness, then which congregation your DPA is at. If you provide neither piece of information, it would then fall to the elders to interfere - which they obviously can't do until they've heard of whatever situation you are in.

At that point, obviously, you supporting S.O. or family or friends will be on hand with your CURRENT form, and no problems.

(Well, no LIFE THREATENING problems, just that, once you recover, you're still auto-DA'ed for accepting blood, so.....)

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Yikes!!!!! I still have mine in my wallet!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

As mentioned above, make sure that all your new doctors have current information on you. If you are above legal age, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

• acsot
    acsot

I'm with Blondie on this one - it's like redoing your Last Will and Testament - once you have a new one, all other previous ones are null and void. You don't have to run around finding all the older Wills to destroy them. Make sure you talk to your doctor and also have the Emergency Contact person on your driver's license (or whatever document on which you have a "who to contact in the event of an emergency" entry) aware of your POA and give that person a copy. Automatically the POA with the latest date will take precedence. No one else has to know.

• acsot
    acsot

What happened to my post???

I'm with Blondie on this one - your newest POA takes precedence; it's like a Last Will and Testament - the latest one is valid, the older ones are automatically disqualified.

Now I can't remember what I wrote (or thought I wrote) on my previous post!!! Sheesh.

Better start with the Ginkgo Biloba!!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I wrote a letter and had it notarized to go along with a NEW Living Will saying that no documents PRIOR to the date of this letter are to be used in my medical care in the event of my being unconscious. And..I made it VERY clear that I WOULD take blood if necessary, and that my family members who are JWs may try to prevent that but that it is MY decision and not theirs. I also put similar letters in the files of my childrens doctors stating that my HUSBAND did not have the authority to deny them blood, and that in an emergency every effort must be made to find ME and in my absence my nonJW sister in law to represent their rights. Dont bother to get the old one back....just like the ID cards, they pretty much expire after awhile, especially if you USURP them with new documents. There is no need to tell your family you are doing this. Make up something to this affect for your WALLET as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit