Could "this generation" inspire a new "1975 debacle"?

by Island Man 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think that it's possible that they're getting ready to issue a new end time date insinuation like they did with 1975. Now I know what some of you are probably thinking: why would they be so stupid as to repeat such a mistake, knowing what happened in 1975? Well here're two reasons why I think they could do it:

First, it's important to remember that they are deluded. They really believe that the end is coming within "this generation" so it's easy for them to tell themselves that even if they were wrong in the past they now have a better handle on the timeline. Setting a specific target date would also inspire fear and urgency in JWs, scaring sleeping fence-sitters and unbaptized publishers as well as ignorant members of the public into becoming full-fledged loyal, baptized members of the religion. It will boost their membership.

Second, they can rationalize their claim and give it credence by saying that they're not really setting a date for the end. This is what I believe they can do: They can conduct a global survey of all congregations to determine the youngest surviving member of group 2 of the overlapping generation. They can then use this person's current age and an estimated maximum life-expectancy + a few years for safety, to determine a maximum end date for "this generation". Then they can publish in a Watchtower that "this generation" is projected to continue up to 20xx for the absolute latest, followed by something like:

"Can we conclude then that this wicked system will end in 20xx? No, we cannot make such specific predictions because Jesus clearly said no one knows the day or the hour. But he did tell us the generation. That generation's end point - this generation's end point - is clearly discernible and fast approaching! Jesus said "this generation will not pass away until all these things occur"! Evidently, the end of this wicked system must come some time before 20xx. We do not know the day or the hour but we do know the deadline!"

And so this line of reasoning can implant the date 20xx in the minds of JWs creating as much hype over that date as existed regarding the 1975 date. And they can rationalize away any criticisms of their claims based on Jesus' statement about no one knowing the day, by saying that they're not claiming to know the day, that the end can come anytime before 20xx - only it must come before then.

I can totally see this happening.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Nothing surprises me. Even if they are 100% correct, I would rather take a permanent dirt nap than spend eternity with these crazies!
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I don't think so because the overlapping generation explanation buys them 30 years since Mark Sanderson is part of the second group that overlaps the first group and he is only 50...he lives to 80 and that means the Big A could still be 30 years away and the GB prove themselves correct.

So I think the current explanation is perfect in the minds of the GB as it makes it sound like it is very soon whilst in fact it could be 30 years away...I think the GB want that explanation so they can forget about the "generation" explanation and move onto other areas like 1914, 1440,000 etc.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Nothing would surprise me, but I think they are more concerned and using all their efforts on developing schemes on how to pull more money from the rank and file.

Image result for pic of money

• kairos
    kairos
    Nothing surprises me. Even if they are 100% correct, I would rather take a permanent dirt nap than spend eternity with these crazies!

It is sad that it has come to this for so many of us exJWs.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Island Man - "...it's easy for them to tell themselves that even if they were wrong in the past they now have a better handle on the timeline."

'Course it's easy.

When you've had as much practice being wrong as they have, it's practically second nature.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    First, it's important to remember that they are deluded. They really believe that the end is coming

I'm not so sure they are. At least not all of the popes. I think there is a fair proportion of those pigs that know they're running a scam.

No matter if they believe or not, they want money, luxury, power and to protect their paedophile brothers that they are in one mind with.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Like I keep saying, the best explanation for their actions is that they know it's wrong, but believe it's "true"...

...at the same time.

• jws
    jws

I seriously doubt that for several reasons

• I think they learned their lesson on setting dates. 1975 continues to do them damage. Doing it again could sink them.
    • I don't think they really believe the end is coming soon. I think they're just trying plausible explanations to stretch it out. Otherwise they'd stick to the original one generation and say there's still somebody alive. I think they know very well their chronology is wrong and they have to lie to make people believe it. They may believe (as many religions do) that Jesus is returning, but don't truly believe it's related to 1914.
    • They have to keep the carrot in front of people and it's a no-win situation to declare a date. Make it too soon and it passes, a big drop-off. Possibly a fatal one. Make it too late, and they lose the urgency they have relied on for decades.

I think all they can do is string people along. Ok look, it's coming. When? No idea, but be alert. It could be any day now.

As for overlapping, people are more likely to reach their 90's. Especially the well cared for GB. 90 x 2 = 180.

180 + 1914 = 2094. So they have nearly 80 more years if they want to play it that long. Of if you use the biblical (some of special mightiness), you get 80 x 2 = 160. That's 2074. 60 years from now. Even 70 years goes until 2054, 40 years from now.

While they may say it has to be older ones with understanding now, remember how they said that with 1914, then eventually said people born in 1914?

• Half banana
    Half banana
    I think they are just as likely to say that the "spiritual " paradise actually arrived just after 1975 when they agreed to have a governing body. It would cover two bases; this would make use of the 1975 date and the timing of their own elevation to sainthood as demi-gods. "The paradise came invisibly!" ---(vomit bag needed)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit