Jesus a "cult"?

by mpatrick 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

There is a discussion on another board and we were discussing cults when a JW made the comment...

Using the same standards that you guys are using... Jesus and the Apostles were a "cult"...

I have heard other JWs defend the term "cult" with the same illustration, so it definitely sounds like a parrotted answer from the WTBS. My question is, has this illustration ever been used in a Watchtower publication?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hey Michelle,

Howz things in Cincy?

Still banging your head against the wall at beliefnet I see.

The rationalization these JW's are using was one of many that I used in my own mind to keep the tide of doubt from overwhelming me. I don't ever recall seeing it in one of the pubs though. It's really a red herring argument, meant to detract from the real issue.

One scripture that I thought about a lot my last 6 months or so in was where Jesus said his yoke was kindly and light. Is there anything light or kindly about the Watchtower yoke? Only a dishonest JW could answer that question with a yes.

Anymore, JW's seem like they are out to convince everyone that they're not all that bad. It is strange that "join us or die" is slowly turning to "please like us, we're not that bad!"

Wish I had some golden words of advice to give you, but I don't.

Ask them what they would consider a cult to be.

Hang in there!

Hows hubby and kids?

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

*** w97 6/1 5-6 Secrecy in the Name of the Lord ***

The Dangers of Religious Secrecy

In view of such occurrences, is it any wonder that many people cast a wary eye in the direction of religious groups? Certainly no one would want to support a secret organization religious or nonreligious that misuses his trust and causes him to pursue goals with which he does not agree . What can people do, though, to avoid falling into the trap of involvement with secret societies of a questionable nature?

Obviously, anyone considering membership in a secret society would be wise to ascertain its real objectives . Pressure from friends or acquaintances should be guarded against , and decisions ought to be based not on emotion but on facts. Remember, it is likely the individual himselfnot otherswho will be called upon to suffer any possible consequences.

Following Bible principles is the surest method of steering clear of dangerous groups whose motives are less than honorable. (Isaiah 30:21) This involves maintaining political neutrality , showing love to others, even to enemies, avoiding the works of the flesh, and cultivating the fruitage of Gods spirit. Above all, true Christians must be no part of the world, even as Jesus was no part, and this course precludes participating in worldly secret societies.Galatians 5:19-23; John 17:14, 16; 18:36; Romans 12:17-21; James 4:4.

Jehovahs Witnesses are earnest students of the Bible who take their faith seriously and try openly to live accordingly. Worldwide, they are well-known as a religious group that seeks peace and pursues it. (1 Peter 3:11) Their book Jehovahs WitnessesProclaimers of Gods Kingdom correctly notes: Jehovahs Witnesses are in no sense a secret society. Their Bible-based beliefs are fully explained in publications that are available to anyone. Additionally, they put forth special effort to invite the public to attend meetings to see and hear for themselves what takes place.

True religion in no way practices secretiveness. Worshipers of the true God have been instructed not to hide their identity or to obscure their purpose as Jehovahs Witnesses. The early disciples of Jesus filled with their teaching. They were out in the open as to their beliefs and activity. The same is true of Jehovahs Witnesses today. Understandably, when dictatorial regimes wrongfully restrict freedom of worship, Christians must cautiously and courageously carry on their activity, obeying God as ruler rather than men, a situation that is forced upon them because of their courageous public witness.Acts 5:27-29; 8:1; 12:1-14; Matthew 10:16, 26, 27.

If it ever crossed your mind that Jehovahs Witnesses might be a secret cult or sect, that was likely because you knew too little about them. That must have been the situation with many in the first century.

Acts chapter 28 tells us of a meeting that the apostle Paul had in with the principal men of the Jews. They said to him: We think it proper to hear from you what your thoughts are, for truly as regards this sect it is known to us that everywhere it is spoken against. (Acts 28:16-22) In response, Paul explained the matter to them by bearing thorough witness concerning the , and some began to believe. (Acts 28:23, 24) It certainly was to their lasting benefit to get the actual facts concerning true Christianity.

Dedicated as they are to the open and public service of God, Jehovahs Witnesses will be happy to reveal the plain facts of their activity and beliefs to anyone who cares to know the facts. Why not investigate for yourself, thus being in position to be properly informed as to their faith?

Errr....Most here have and we have identified you as a CULT!

So Eat My Shorts!

• Carmel
    Carmel

By one definition, those that deify a human being, all Christians that consider Jesus God, are cultists.

caveman of the bat kingdom

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

If it ever crossed your mind that Jehovahs Witnesses might be a secret cult or sect, that was likely because you knew too little about them. That must have been the situation with many in the first century.

I just thought, amazing - something in their publications I agree with - many in the first century no doubt knew little about jws - but then I thought, no, can't be knowing too little about them.

As for Jesus being a cult - no - His sheep can go in and out and find pasture - not so with cults (eg jwism).

paduan

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Christianity is a Jesus cult. If you disagree it is only because you believe it to be the "truth".

Edited by - peacefulpete on 30 January 2003 1:33:5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit