Peace and security?

by Nickey 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickey
    Nickey

I recently have a stumper in talking to my mother. She's agreed that she's going to be open minded and hear me out because she's starting to have slight doubts about the organization. But the one thing she always throws out is that the Society said that there would be talks of "Peace and Security" and that they must be the truth since everyone keeps saying "Peace and Security".

I'm still learning myself, so I try to do some research. My question is, when did the Society start "fortelling" the "nations will rise against nation" and the "peace and security" prophecy?

It always brings me back to square one with her. I try to explain that one false prophecy spoils the whole reputation of being a true prophet. But she'll hit me back with "They were correct about the peace and security." And brings up the gray book they published. I don't recall the title. But it talked about peace and security.

My whole thing is, a false prophet may get some correct so as to decieve and mislead. But one false prophecy that doesn't come to pass, renders him false.

Is this "peace and security" even a prophecy? When did the society come up with this? What basis do they use in saying they correctly foretold this "prophecy"?

Anyone care to help me so I may overcome this roadblock?

• belbab
    belbab

Nickey,

The WT always say that it is the nations that cry Peace and Security. If you do a study on all the places in the Bible where the phrase peace and security or peace and safety show up, it always talks about the false prophetes and leaders of Israel that make this call.

If you want to read further on this subject, go to:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=23389&site=3

Hope this helps,

belbab

• Gopher
    Gopher

Nickey,

The scripture being used for this "peace and security" prophecy is 1 Thessalonians 5:2,3.

For you yourselves know quite well that Jehovah's day is coming exactly as a thief in the night. Whenever it is that they are saying "Peace and security!" then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them just as the pang of distress upon a pregnant woman; and they will by no means escape.
    The grey book you're referring to is the "Worldwide Peace and Security" book.

However, the WTS still says that this "peace and security" declaration is yet future, and is some sort of international "sigh of relief" over some kind of world development that they believe will ensure peace.

I believe your mother is mistaken, because even the WTS doesn't believe this sign has yet come true.

And of course since that verse written by the apostle Paul has been dangling out there for centuries, it could even be centuries more before it's fulfilled. Or perhaps it was already fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem during the 1st century.

See, this verse really proves nothing. It cannot honestly be used by anyone to prove or disprove a religion to be true.

Edited by - Gopher on 27 January 2003 20:12:9

• blondie
    blondie
    But she'll hit me back with "They were correct about the peace and security." And brings up the gray book they published. I don't recall the title. But it talked about peace and security.

Nickey, just a suggestion, since your mom brings up this point, have her get the book and show you where the point is. Have her explain it using the scriptures. As far as the WTS is concerned, that prophecy is still awaiting fulfillment.

The book is "Worldwide Security" and was published in 1986, the same year the United Nations declared as being the International Year of Peace. You will not find any reference of this special year in the book but in later Watchtowers. Also note that as of 1997, the WTS was still awaiting fulfillment of 1 Thessalonians 5:1-6:

March 1, 1997 page 10

Citing one of these, the apostle Paul had said: "Whenever it is that they are saying: Peace and security! then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them." (1 Thessalonians 5:1-6) In this "time of the end," we ourselves await the fulfillment of those words. (Daniel 12:4)

June 1, 1997 Watchtower page 10

Particularly since 1986, when an International Year of Peace was declared by the United Nations, the world has been full of talk about peace and security. Definite steps have been taken in an effort to secure world peace, apparently with a measure of success. Is this the entire fulfillment of this prophecy, or can we expect a future startling announcement of some sort? Jehovah will clarify that matter in his due time. Meanwhile, let us stay spiritually awake, "awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah." (2 Peter 3:12)

June 1, 1991 Watchtower page 18
    As we entered the 1990s, newspapers and magazines everywhere were saying that the Cold War is over and that world peace is at last in sight. But then a shooting war broke out in the Middle East. However, sooner or later the world situation will develop to the point where the cry of "Peace and security!" prophesied at 1 Thessalonians 5:2, 3 will increase to a climax.

As to real false prophecies you might look at some of the quotes at the Quotes.com site regarding 1874, 1878, 1881, 1914, 1925, 1975.

Once that I found interesting was that it was said that the resurrection of the anointed already dead would begin in 1881 invisibly. This has been updated by the WTS to 1918.

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/

You might want to look at the quotes about 1925. They are eye-opening.

Blondie

• Nickey
    Nickey

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to look into it so I'll be better prepared. I try to get all my facts straight so I don't get caught up. I've only been "out" for some months and still on shaky ground. Where I'm unsure if I'm doing the right thing and thinking I may be wrong about the society. Feeling like I'm some apostate/traitor. All those feelings rush me.

My mother is a very strong believer and I noticed that her "confirmation" of the society being the truth is the "Peace and Security" talks and 1914.

We'd go to the meetings and they'd give talks about the UN saying "peace and security" and it would hype everyone up. We'd turn on the news and they'd say they were trying to obtain peace and security.

From my understanding, they said they would say that in the future. There would be talks about it. But when they actually say they have peace and security was when the end would come.

I guess I still have alot to learn and to gain a deeper understanding of this. But I figure if I can get by the peace and security and 1914 issue, then I can slowly open her eyes... and even my own.

• archangel01
    archangel01
    When every THEY are saying peace and security.......

The key words " THEY are saying" means they are talking or saying it but it doesn't mean they have it or going to get it.Remember the year 2000 when the pope was saying this is a year of peace because being in the year 2000.But then 2001 sept. 11. that idea was thrown out the window.So if thats true then it means its only gonna get worse ,not better until the end does come.Also I think ALL religon is false because they all are not telling the true, the prove is in the pudding. The Bible is the Truth and the word of God so believe that and that ONLY. Because 1cor. 2:5 states That YOUR faith might be, not in men's wisdom(WTBTS), but in God's power.1 cor. 3:19 For wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, for it is written: " He catches the wise in their own cunning (WTBTS)also 1cor 4:6 is a good script and of course Rom. 10:1-4 are Great scripts as well. All scripts can be found in the (NWT bible)I hope this helps

Edited by - archangel01 on 28 January 2003 6:0:18

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    peace and security

You know, this is another annoying JW-ism, trying to tie this into some literal 'event' that has or will take place like there would be some billboard that said - "Yes JW's, this is it, finally the real declaration of peace and security". Fact is mankind has always striven to provide 'peace and security' for himself and family, and by extention, for their country. How many times over the past 3000 years do you think that gov'ts and people have thought to themselves, or declared that now they have peace in the realm? Probably every time a war is over...

I recall how excited my mother was in 1986 when the UN made it the 'year of peace and security'. Surely this was it. Well, I guess not.

Don't you think after the middle east crisis is over that the US gov't will beat their chest in pride and declare peace? Of course. And it'll last until the next crisis, rinse and repeat as needed. Same old, same old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit