U.S. JWs: 36% White, 27% Black, 6% Asian, 32% Latino (PEW)

by Gayle 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
  • Londo111
    Londo111

This is a change from 7 years ago.

In 2007, it was 48% white, 22% black, and 24% Latino. There has been quite a demographic shift.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    Yup and it means either 1 of 2 things. Either more minorities are entering at a much higher rate. OR lots of whites are leaving. Instead of by race though I would be curious what the numbers would show based on household income and education. I'm sure that would explain a lot.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

They do show income in the pew polls.

In 2007, the distribution was:

<30K 42%
    30k to 49k 23%
    49k to 99k 26%
    100k+ 9%
    <30K 48%
    30k to 49k 25%
    49k to 99k 22%
    100k+ 4%
  • Londo111
    Londo111

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/jehovahs-witness/

Here is the raw data.

They do have education reported from 2014, but not 2007.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

There's a lot of churn in the cult, and it looks like they're losing members and replacing them with immigrants that make an easy mark, having left their entire social structure behind. Doesn't bode too well for the cult, but unfortunately there's always money to be made by exploiting the poor, so if they restructure some I'm sure they'll be able to manage this shift just fine.

It's not much to go on but since there's a comparable drop in the blacks and whites, this seems to indicate something that will probably be pretty obvious to most here - the largest factor at play here is social support. A quick google search turned a comparison of income by race (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104552.html) which if I'm reading this correctly shows that blacks tend to have a lower household income than both whites and hispanics. If income (which usually tracks reasonably close to education) were a huge factor then I would expect to see the demographics shifting towards blacks and to a slightly lesser extent hispanics. Since it's only shifting to hispanic, that indicates to me that this is more about immigration than education or income.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Actaully the black demographic had a 5% increase. Of course, I wonder how many of those are immigrants as well.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Sample sizes are too small to read too much into demographic shift, as margin of error may be something like 10%+. The scale (if not direction) of change in ethnic composition in seven years seems a bit incredible.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Actaully the black demographic had a 5% increase. Of course, I wonder how many of those are immigrants as well.

Crap, you're right. Even so the increase in the latino population is proportionally much larger. I wonder how these numbers track against the demographics change in the US as a whole, too. That might well have something to do with it, though I'm pretty confident that the US population didn't change nearly as much as the JWs did, so there's still definitely a lot of churn indicated.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/jehovahs-witness/

INTERESTING! Check out the trend, the number of those under age 49 in 2007 was 60% of JW's, just 7 years later it's 47%, they lost 12% of under age 49 in just 7 years!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit