Teacher says no interacial relationships

by meadow77 5 Replies latest jw friends

• meadow77
    meadow77

Crystal City Teacher Faces Firing For Racial Comments

1/8/2003 3:00:47 PM Send this document to a colleague.

(KSDK) -- A second night of hearings ended without a decision on whether a Crystal City teacher should be fired for making racially offensive comments in class.

Jendra Loeffelman teaches 8th grade in the Crystal City School District. In October, she told her class that she opposed marriage between people of different races, and suggested such couples should not have children.

Among the students in Loeffelman's class, a child whose parents are of different races. Since those comments, the teacher has been suspended with pay.

Tuesday night, more testimony was heard by the Crystal City School Board, including statements from people who say Loeffelman never treated students differently due to their race.

A decision concerning Loeffelman's future with the district is expected by mid-February.

-----------------------Is it possible people like this are alowed to teach our children? I would bust a flipping gasket if my kid came home and told me their teacher was saying this junk.

• greven
    greven

She is free to think whatever she wants. However, as a teacher she has the responsibility not to teach oppinion as fact or advice. She misuses her influence on these kids. Horrible.

Greven.

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

When I was in 8th grade, my history teacher said something so ignorant that I will never forget it.

"Slavery wasn't just the fault of white people. It was the black people who submitted to it. If they would have fought harder against it, it would have been different."

Holy crap. I wanted to jump out of my chair and punch him!

It IS scary that people like that are out there influencing kids.

• Francois
    Francois

Asortoffairytale - perhaps your teacher was referring to the fact that most people sold into slavery were sold by other african tribes and that if the tribes had been united in fighting slavery, no slavery would have taken place?

Francois

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

I will get flamed for saying this:

Yes, she should be fired. She has her rights to think what she wants, but why is she making these comments to 8th graders? Why does she have to educate that rethoric/opinion to schoolkids?

It's not that much different from a JW going door-to-door telling non-JW kids to baptize or they'll perish at Armageddon.

Yeah! Fire her ass. That's one less ignorant bigot trying to educate the masses.

Ajax

• meadow77
    meadow77

This crazy lady is certainly entitled to her opinion, but just as any other teacher she is limited to what she ca spew from the front of the class room. The article I posted doesn't even list the most horrible thing about her comments. She gave them while a bi-racial child was in the classroom. Supposedly she did not know the child was mixed, but what prompted her to even say these things in the first place?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit