A must read for all JW's and Ex-JW's

by iwasblind 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• iwasblind
    iwasblind

Hi Guys

I am about 60% through the book EXiting the JW Cult: A Healing Handbook: For Current & Former Jehovah's Witnesses

I bought this book because of a post about it last week so a big thank you for that.

I must say that everyone on this forum should consider giving this book a go. As an ex-jw and a psychologist she really covers a lot of the emotions we face and discussed the many stages we all go through.

I have found it liberating and challenging but mostly it has helped me start healing.

One of my biggest moments is when she talked about how many ex-JWs struggle to know WHO they are because we have repressed who we are for so long. She explains that it will take time for us to connect with our authentic self and gives some great tips on how to do it.

That spoke to me because I was comfortable with knowing TTATT and also with my exit plans, but I still struggle with my own self and understanding what I really want to do. I also believe God calls us to do different things - not only witnessing but I was not clear on my future path. I now have peace in that.

She touches on so many things that are useful I wanted to share it with you.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

iwasblind,

It is great that you shared this book with us in the forum, especially since it touched you personally. I think I will check this one out myself now that you've pointed it out.

If you haven't already done so, please make sure to write a nice review for the book on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk (wherever you bought it). This is the best way to recommend an author, as well as to get more readers for her since that review will have many eyes for quite some time.

Remember: you can do the review anonymously if you need to.

-Brock Talon

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Iwasright, You are right -- this is an EXCELLENT book!! I also just began reading it, from a recommendation here, and the compassion, insight & understanding into our experience and how to find yourself again, is exactly what my wounded, jaded, cynical heart needs ....

Written by by an ex-JW turned therapist, she knows.... She understands, and offers ways to cope, heal, and move on ... practical advice and so much more, and I'm not even half way through.

This is is a great book and resource. And thank you, Brock Talon, for reminding us about leaving feedback and reviews on Amazon. Most important.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Hi iwasblind, thank you for the recommendation I'm going to get it today.

im newly out and struggling....everything has changed. I am speaking with an online counsellor and she gave me the 'task' of remembering what I was like & what I wanted at age 14! Why? Because that was the last time I was without jw influence or that of a domineering jw man! Scary, 25 years of my life lived differently from what it should have been, leaving me unskilled, short of cash, in a very difficult relationship and having to start all over again to build friendships and a community, wondering whether to leave my marriage, retrain and try to live the life I should have lived 25 years later....or to try and work with what I've got. Thank goodness for my wonderful children so that I don't regret.

But it's a strange, stressful and depressing time...there's a pull to go back to the but once you've taken that red pill there is no going back, and I can barely stomach the odd meeting never mind the whole 'spiritual' routine again.

Thanks for the recommendation and reminding me there's a lot of us going through the same things

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo
    One quick tip,for anonymity....I share my Amazon account with the rest of my family, so if I buy on kindle it will be seen on my families kindle apps too. Set up a new Amazon account if you want to keep this kind of book on the quiet....and passcode your gadgets.
  • Zoos
    Zoos

I saw that same post where the book was mentioned and I almost bought it. I will go back and give it a second look.

Thanks!

• Sabin
    Sabin
    I have found highlighting the areas in the book that have jumped out to me personally really helpful it means I can go back to some of the points that will help me if I need to. Also written out my favourite quote & stuck it up on the wall, so I can see it every day, (pg 79, Escape From Freedom) even though I love to read I`m glad the book isn`t to long so the info you need to go forward isn`t overwhelming. Some else put up a post with alist on Spiritual abuse. There were 10 points I wrote these out to & put them on the wall just to remind me how bad the borg truly is, when I have a moment of anxiety. What things have you found helpful?
  • iwasblind
    iwasblind

Hi Brock I will do thank you.

Hi Tornintwo - you will find the book sometimes breaks you open but helps you heal. I am praying for you. It is hard breaking away. It gave me peace to know it is possible and the journey will end in success - I just need to let it take its course and have the skills to navigate the emotions. God bless you.

Zoos - do it - I have read many self help books, I love stuff on the brain, but this is helping me in many ways. I will probably read it a few times because there is so much to pull out of it and this is a long journey!

Sabin - I use a Kindle reader and have highlighted and made many notes. Right now I am journalling every day. This has been a huge thing for me - I am discovering stuff about myself that I forgot. It is like when you give your subconscious permission it starts to release stuff. Also her point of trying to use your journalling time to let the emotion run has saved me staying angry or depressed all day - I have not mastered it but I have started to be able to defer some feelings to my journalling time which has been liberating. I can't wait to read the other books she recommends.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho
    Right I'll get that one too. It sounds like the right sort of book for me. Thank you for bringing it to my/our attention ....no doubt it has been mentioned before and I missed it.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Got it. Gotta go now and read it on my Kindle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit