After 15 years, finally living for real

by La Capra 7 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

It was in October of 1987, as a 19 year old, raised as a Jehovah's Witness, that I disassociated from them. I have had countless emotional, relationship and professional struggles that I know came from the years of mental control, training to be judgmental, and the culture of everything being all right or all wrong. When I disassociated, I promised myself that when I reached the point where I had more days out than in (it's about four years from now) that I would truly celebrate my freedom-the crossing point when I can no longer say I was a Jehovah's Witness for most of my life.

Granted the number of days is a technicality, I am somewhat attached to them as a symbolic concept (and besides, I am totally into numbers).

In anticipation of this event, I decided to go back to school to become a lawyer. I also took a brave step, met with the Rabbi and have started my conversion to the religion that, in my heart, I know I have always been (All that Torah reading instead of paying attention at meetings and assemblies).

When I was in college I chose an easy career with high demand-teaching math. While I love mathematics and know I am doing something very important and valuable to my students-it wasn't "for real". It was just until I figured out who I was. The mistake in that was that while I was good at it, it distracted me from decision making and ultimately, living a real life. (Anyone out there in college with the same plan-think carefully before going through with it).

A few years back, I hurt a man terribly by accepting his marriage proposal when I knew deep down he had habits I would never accept. But since I wasn't really living who I was anyway, it didn't matter right? Wrong. I did the right thing and broke things off with him before the wedding (but not before he went out and bought a beautiful new suit and I went out and bought the gown).

Since I started Law School last June, I have been putting in a whole-hearted dedication into my studies. I have never done this before. I have never studied and worked so hard in my life. And all the while I was doing this, I had no idea whether I was studying enough, learning enough, writing well enough, all that stuff-there were no quizes along the way.

We had midterms in December and we just got our scores last week, and the grade distributions for each class was posted today. I am very proud to be able to say that I did well. I earned the highest grade in both contracts and torts and while I didn't earn the highest grade in crimes, I was only three points under the highest grade.

I have done well in school generally-but when I did I was generally just going through the motions and not really throwing my soul into it. The satisfaction (even without knowing the rankings) I feel is completely new and wondrous. I can't believe what I have been missing all these years. This is totally awesome.

Shalom, Shoshana

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

Good for you, La Capra. It's your life and it looks like you're "spending" it. I just know you are going to make one outstanding lawyer, as well as anything else you try. It's great to live, isn't it??

• email
    email

Pretty inspiring post

Those "little" things in life is what really makes it worth living it... I wish you success in your career...

Soon we'll have a new lawer on the board ... keep us posted!

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi!

As soon as you pass the bar mail me your business card. I could always use a good lawyer, and you sound like you're on the way to being one of the best!

Cyrus

P.S. I was born of ethnic Jewish parents who became Witnesses before I was born. I, too, feel the pull of Judaism pulling me back 'home".I can't explain it, but it's there.

Take Care and I'll see you at Temple

Cyrus

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Wow...that was an awesome post. Congratulations on doing so well! You are working your butt off and its paying off for you. I hope this ends up being what you really truly wanted. But life is funny...you may decide to change lanes again somewhere down the road and try something else new :) I admire people who have the guts and the drive to go after what they want.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Edited by - LovesDubs on 21 January 2003 11:41:56

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Congratulations, La Capra! You sound as though you have found the serenity for which you have been searching, and I'm happy for you. Now, a few words of advice for when you start on your practice of law: be nice to your secretary! It might be me! (But only if you end up in Dallas practicing civil lit.)

Nina

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Fantastic! Now you must use your lawyer powers for good and not evil.

Shalom y'all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit