As a Dub, did you neglect your health?

by JH 8 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When you were an active JW, did you neglect your health because the end was just around the corner.

Many witnesses never went to see a doctor for a check up, because they actually believed that the end was a few months away.

We all know that sicknesses are cured if treated early, but you have to see the doctor on a regular basis for that.

Did you neglect your health when you were a JW because you felt that the end was too close?

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

You betcha !! I now have the best teeth money can buy because I only spent money on my teeth when they were hurting. Much of this occured before and shortly after 1975. Live and learn. Bug

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

As many of the old timers can testify to,we sacrificed it all ,not only our health, but also our ability to gain financially so that we could have a good health plan in our retirement years.Now that there is no new order on the horizen we are stuck without a good health policy or the resources to obtain it.

So, yes in a way, health was neglected for the advancement of the kingdom,or so we thought. Our family always went to the clinic when we were sick.Long waits for attention, minimun care also.But ,we are still here carrying on, were not that old in our sixties.Children in their thirties doing fine healthwise. Blueblades

• longtimeout
    longtimeout

I never did. But of course, the time I spent as a Dub was during my youth, and I never worried about my health. But I've seen many older Dubs neglect their health, albeit benignly. Mostly because many were self-employed in menial low-paying jobs where health insurance was a luxury few could afford, and preventative medical check-ups were never performed. I still remember comments like these; "Yeah, I know my teeth are shot, but in the new world I'll have perfect teeth, along with everything else". Goes to everything else the rank and file sacrificed in their lives, believing they were part of the "generation that will my no means pass away".

• ISP
    ISP

I didn't eat as I should do. i.e. I would miss evening meals rushing out to the meetings.....and then eat take-outs late at night!

ISP

• minimus
    minimus

Yes. I ate terrible things when I pioneered. McDonald's, Burger King and Dunkin' Donuts.

• ISP
    ISP

....but as a dub.....I never smoked.......drank to excess.....or had sex with lots of girls........DARN IT!!!!!!!!!!

ISP

• blondie
    blondie

I did pioneer without health insurance and wound up in the hospital with a big bill. I was betting on my youth to be a guarantee of good health. I found out that even young people get serious illnesses.

Fortunately, the surgeon and a nice little program for the poor helped me cover it. I stopped pioneering and got a job with health insurance.

But otherwise, I have excellent teeth, and only needed routine maintenance. The dentist still never makes much money on me.

I have always had enough financially and never had much desire to accumulate things. I have traveled all over the world without spending much in the process. I have a modest home and vehicle and avoid going into debt. I have gone back to school mostly for the joy of learning than expanding my earning power.

Blondie (who has learned that even the best health insurance does not guarantee good health)

• moana
    moana

JH:

I have noticed a freaky thing - why did the jw's I grew up with all become vitamin freaks??? I have heard this from other people too. So if the end was coming why pop all the vitamins? I swear that parent that shunned me probably has created some gastro-intestinal disorder by popping vitamins constantly. This is the same person that told me to get my mercury fillings taken out because they are soooooo dangerous.

Ain't it great not to have to live in fear anymore?????

peace baby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit