February 8, 2003 Awake - Get an Accurate Picture

by Southland 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Southland
    Southland

The Internet gets slammed in this article in the 2/8/2003 Awake! The article speaks for itself. (Updated with better quality scans)

Edited by - southland on 20 January 2003 20:52:38

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for posting that page. I really don't disagree with much of what is being said on it. We always need to read with caution and a bit of skepticism, no matter the source (including the Internet). Even the NY Times itself could be said to be slamming the Net with its quote on this page.

However we know the WTS takes things a step further by planting a subtle paranoia about all outside sources among the rank-and-file JW's. All outside sources of spiritual information are to be avoided, only they are to be trusted!!

So they take a reasonable premise: caution about the Internet, and turn it into delusional paranoia. The paranoia is: if you dare read outside publications, your faith will be shattered!! REALLY NOW -- If the Watchtower brand of "truth" was so strong, they would welcome comparison and contrast to other belief systems.

But by planting the "you're only safe reading our stuff" idea inside their follower's heads, they get to continue their favorite game with their members: the game of "control".

• Southland
    Southland

I agree - everyone needs to be careful when using the Internet. But here is clearly a veiled warning that only Society material is to be fully trusted.

• onacruse
    onacruse
    Thus, we need to use discernment and educate ourselves so that we do not gullibly believe whatever we read.

I can't imagine that whoever wrote this is so out of contact with reality that they actually understand what they are saying about the WTS!?!?

.............................Oh, wait.................Something bright.............................Yes, I can see it now!

Craig

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Selected excerpts slightly modified.

......"Getting and accurate picture on religious issues is difficult. Religious totalitarianisms tell half truths.... they claim to be unbiased but are the most biased source of information of all....They do not always explain the consequences of joining their movement......At its worst case scenario a religious totalism can dumb you down thru information starvation till you are dumber than dog do do.......Anyone can claim to speak for God, publish magazines and books, we need to use discernment and do our own research, educate ourselves, rather than gullibly believe whatever we are told from the stage"...........

etc

Edited by - refiners fire on 21 January 2003 3:20:42

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

True, there may be things to watch out for on the internet.

However, the Society fear truth above all else.

If I do web based research on any subject, I might find a diversity of views on that subject. However, more often than not, a pattern begins to emerge that helps the discerning researcher to identify the extremes that may be taken on an issue, and where the center ground lies.

Search on Jehovahs Witnesses, and the center ground starts to make you question the validity of their fundamental claims and the way that people are treated. Very worring indeed to the Society!

eyeslice

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Anyone can put anything on the internet, in a magazine, or in a book. Thus, we need to use discernment and educate ourselves so that we do not gullibly believe whatever we read. Those of us who want accurate information have to establish that our source is reliable. This can take time. But once we do so and get amore complete picture, we can be sound in out thinking, correct in judgment, and confident when making important decisions.

I could not agree with this more.

However, I do find it interesting that they tell the readers to check on everything.... except for what the Watchtower publishes. To doubt and question the Watchtower would be disloyal and result in Disfellowshipping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit