Being JW did not make me a better person...

by Granny Linda 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

No, it wasn't that group of people who showed me what life is about. Hell, their so busy preparing to die that it seems life eludes them. It was by becoming an active participant in my own adventure. Now I do know that any of us are shaped and molded by the community around us, but in the end we alone are responsible for the quality of our life. I find humor in that paradox...maybe even more like irony.

Here we have one of the most precious gifts...and yet we found ourselves at death's door. Or at least that is my story. How can someone raised to believe everything around them is wicked and vile find the beauty? Well, they don't - my opinion.

So, while my husband and I continue moving forward with our soon to be relocating out of state, I saw so clearly just how JW's and other's of their ilk don't make better people out of us...we do. Not saying that we weren't good and decent before that experience, it's just that happiness breeds like and brings with it an element of Magik that I love. And all that boils down to is learning how to work with the energies that surround us. Removing my self from the negative as in JW allowed me to become the person I was always meant to be.

Thank you Goddesses and godsand ALL those wonderfully delightful fellow (sometimes) insane workers of goodness that helped me along my journey. Thanks for being here for me, ya'll.

Granny, of the "I'm tired" class.

• Perry
    Perry

How can someone raised to believe everything around them is wicked and vile find the beauty? Well, they don't - my opinion

Hi Granny. I concur exactly. The reason I left was mainly because of the negativity. It was simply much too hostile a place for me to continue. I wish I could say that I had some great ephiany. I didn't. That came later. It just started to feel all wrong.

Nice post.

• Mum
    Mum

You hit a bullseye, Granny L! Those were my thoughts exactly when I began struggling with doubts. I knew that I was a kinder, more compassionate and overall better person before becoming a JW. Now I can be that way again without anyone telling me there's something wrong about it.

I was kind to a sister who was going to marry a "worldly" guy. Her mother later told me that I was the only one who treated her in a manner befitting a Christian. I am not ashamed of that!

I moved to another state as well. It helps a lot not to be near anyone who knew me "when."

Many more blessings to come,

SandraC

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

"I saw so clearly just how JW's and other's of their ilk don't make better people out of us...we do. "

These are words of gold. Nothing can supply continuous happiness, only we ourselves can do that. I'm incredibly happy that I've learned that at the young age of 24. It gives so much more meaning to life!

Trying to find happiness in waiting for armageddon to come and survive into a paradise earth is just like trying to find happiness in the hope of winning the lottery. You spend tons of energy and money, and hope that one day you'll end up with the grand prize. Then you die. The best thing to do is make the most of our time here on earth, while we're here.

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

Like they always say, you only live once. Make the best of everyday and enjoy life to the fullest. You just don't know if you'll be here tomorrow.

It's depressing to think of how so many JWs lead unhappy, empty lives waiting for Armageddon to come and wash all their problems away. Many will go on being puppets of the WTS and never see that paradise they long for. And before long, they're dead. What a waste.

I used to know some fairly intelligent brothers and sisters at the hall and it is amazing how blinded they are by the WTS.

With the power of the Internet, freedom is only a few clicks away.

Perhaps printing up flyers with the "jehovahs-witness.com" web site address and placing them outside the KH some night might help? Sure they'd read it and initially throw it away, but curiousity would eventually lead them here? How about the title: "Are you tired of wasting your life at the meetings?"

YellowLab

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Granny Linda, nothing like experience, right?

YellowLab, my title would be, 'Learning the REAL truth will set YOU free!"

Guest 77

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Great thread.....I've had this discussion a few times with ex-JW's. One of the pat responses from Witnesses is " How can you turn your back on God's organization after all it has done for you? " In thinking that over, I have to be honest and say, yes, one of the greatest gifts of my life was found at a Kingdom Hall; my WIFE!! But I did not discover my spiritual need, my sense of honesty, my work ethic, or sobriety at the KH. And my wife and I are quite sure that if we had not put some distance between us and the sick dynamics that so saturates most KH's, we would not be married ( and happily I might add ) today. There are indeed so many people and organizations that I am indebted to for whatever quality of life I have today, but the Watchtower Publishing Corp. is far, far down that list. Did I say FAR DOWN?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit