Firestorm razes 400 ACT homes: four dead

by kelpie 6 Replies latest jw friends

• kelpie
    kelpie

Hi guys and gals

I have found a current report for you all.

Monday January 20, 02:42 PM

Firestorm razes 400 ACT homes: four dead

A 73-year-old Duffy man was identified as the fourth person to have died in ferocious bushfires that ravaged Canberra at the weekend, destroying up to 400 homes.

He died in the Duffy fires, which destroyed 185 houses.

"It's believed he died in his home trying to fight off the fires," an ACT police spokeswoman said.

Police said that at least 368 homes were destroyed in the fires, but that figure is expected to rise above 400.

Authorities admitted they were helpless to prevent the firestorm which engulfed parts of the city's western and southern suburbs, overwhelming the national capital's meagre firefighting resources.

"It simply ran over the top of us," said ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope.

More than 300 people were treated for fire-related injuries at the Canberra Hospital, with three people evacuated to Sydney for treatment for serious burns.

Cooler and calm weather gave firefighters some respite today and enabled authorities to declare all fires under control by 4pm.

But the state of emergency remained, with higher temperatures over the coming two days threatening a repeat of Saturday's disaster.

Among the casualties was the historic Mt Stromlo astronomical observatory, where fire largely destroyed the 79-year-old facility, causing an estimated $20 million damage.

Large parts of the ACT RSPCA's shelter in Weston were also destroyed but staff managed to save most of the animals.

Extra firefighters were being brought in from NSW and Queensland to help combat the ongoing fires.

Prime Minister John Howard cut short his holidays for a briefing on the disaster and to visit those who lost their homes.

He held talks with Mr Stanhope and promised federal disaster relief funds would be made available.

"I have been to a lot of bushfire scenes in Australia ... and this was by far the worst," Mr Howard told reporters.

The ACT government has pledged $10,000 assistance for people who lost uninsured homes.

As people returned to their burned homes on Sunday, many expressed anger at the lack of support from ACT fire crews, who were overwhelmed by the blaze as it raced into suburban areas.

Most people were forced to fight the fires with garden hoses and buckets of water, as fire crews were unable to attend all the areas under threat.

But Mr Stanhope told reporters emergency services did all they could but had no way of stopping the disaster.

"We were faced yesterday with an event that would happen perhaps once every 100 or 200 years, the like of which has never been seen in Canberra," he said.

Mr Stanhope said the ACT urban fire service had only 12 tankers at its disposal, which would normally be enough to fight six house fires simultaneously.

But they would have needed up to 800 fully staffed fire trucks to have saved all the houses.

"It was a holocaust of an extent that we simply did not and could not possibly have had the capacity to deal with," Mr Stanhope said.

http://mediastream.aap.com.au/20030120/BushfiresACTStanhope.asf

I hope the short cut works..

If it doesnt go to http://au.news.yahoo.com/030120/2/ivye.html

Kelps

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Kelpie, I was just hearing on the radio about these dreadful brushfires down there in Australia, in and around the ACT region.

Terrible!

I have some friends several hundred kilometres away, west of Sydney in Thirlmere. My good friend, originally from Canada, married an Aussie woman, and they are living there.

What usually is the cause of the fires Kelpie? Are they generally, accidental, deliberate, or natural causes (lightning)?

Sorry to read about this, those brush fires are scary. I've spoken to a few Aussies who have been near them first hand, and they can retell the horror in their eyes and voice. I hope these fires are extinguished real quick, and YOU are safe and sound.

Take care.

• email
    email

I've been following the reports here in the U.S. ... and I was wondering if any of our friends here in the board are close to the fires?... if so I h ope everyone is ok...

• kelpie
    kelpie

Email,

if you count 800 meters away from the fire front then yes I would be close. It was a very scary time but thankfully I wasnt one of the 402 homes lost over the last 2 days.

The fire fighters have been working non stop to try and get them under control (and I think mostly are now) but it has been a very harrowing time

Over 2500 people are with out homes. Power has been restored to the majority of canberra (only 1 percent with out power and water now)

The spirit of Canberra has been fantastic. We have all pulled together as a community. It is wonderful.

Are they generally, accidental, deliberate, or natural causes (lightning)?

Majority of the ones are of natural causes and because australia is so dry at the moment fires start really easily.

there is an unconfirmed statement in the newspaper this morning that one of the main spotfires in canberra on saturday was deliberitly lit, which if it is the case and they found who did it, they should burn them alive.

Not good at all

Kelps

• barry
    barry

My family live in an area of Canberra that is relatively new so the trees arent fully grown and there isnt much fuel on the ground here but fires were all around us at 3pm saturday it was like midnight here all the cars had to have their lights on and the sky was completly black. Barry

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Pretty bad up there. Even Melbourne 400 miles away is so enshrouded in smoke that visiblity is down to 500 yards, it was this morning anyway. And its not even that peak time for fire yet. Mid February, thats always when the big one happens.

• kelpie
    kelpie

Belconnon area is back on high alert again.

I do not know what suburb blissisingorance lives in but I know it is up that way some where.....

I am praying hard that the winds do not pick up like the predicited otherwise it will not be good. I have friends that live right on the edge of the paddocks where the fires are heading.. they are very worried to say the least.

we have told them they can come and stay with us if need be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit