For Searcher - your trip

by animal 8 Replies latest jw friends

• animal
    animal

I told my wife about your trip, she said to make sure you know you are welcome here at the house. Take her up on it dude, she doesnt offer that to many of my friends.... hehe.

I few thoughts I had....

Dont carry much cash with you. You can buy almost anything you need with a bank card now, or credit card, from gasoline to smokes to hookers. When I travel, I keep 100 bucks on me "just in case", but use a card for all the expenses I can. You will find that 99% of the gas stations in the USA have the card readers on the pumps.

I always write up my personal info and put it in my wallet.... in case of emergency. If all you have is your drivers license from England, it will take forever for them to contact someone in case of an emergency.

Once you get west of the Mississippi River, make sure you have a few gallons, minimum, of water with you (assuming you are driving). On parts of the highways, you will see nothing for maybe 100 miles other than sand and mountains. Out west, the sun is a killer if you arent prepared. Water will save you.

Now, if you are going from Dallas to Portland, I have an idea. Leave Dallas and head to Tuscon, Arizona. See Old Tuscon there, where they shot the old cowboy movies. From there, head north to my place in Phoenix (Mesa), an hour and a half drive. We have a pool (bring shorts) and live in it from April thru September. From here, it is 3 hours to the Grand Canyon, whether I take you or you head there on your own. From there, it is another 2 hours to Las Vegas. From there, you could either buzz up the California coast to Portland, or shoot up thru the middle of California to there. I say avoid LA if at all possible.

I will be going to XW's gig in July, I will be flying in tho. If you need me to haul any of your collection of souveniers there from my place, I can.

Email me at [email protected] for a cel and home number, for a point of contact on your trip.

Animal

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Hi Searcher!

Craig and I have some ideas on your trip also. You know of course you are staying with us when you get up to Portland!!!! You have no choice!! We can't wait to meet you!!(the kiss is from Craig)

Just a thought on cutting airfare expenses, it may be cheaper to fly from England to the east coast here on your first and last legs of the trip. You also may be able to book the whole flight adventure as one package from Expedia.com and get a break in prices. Another idea is to book standby flights from one place to another after your initial arrival/departure flights and you can do that through the internet a day in advance of the flight.

It might be $$ ahead of the game to have a travel agent check into all the arrangements because they know all the ins and outs of flight travel. Also go to Amazon.com there are some good reference books out there on how to travel really cheap and how to book one way flights without paying the premium. Since you have a few months to gather all this info it may well be worth the effort to check out all options. Nothing is definate until you say so......travel agents work for free basicly (at least they used to). Also it is usually cheaper to fly into a smaller airport rather than the big international airports and I'm sure whoever is at the other end won't mind the extra driving miles to pick you up.

Oh yeah and if you go to Tucson I'm sure my son would let you stay at his house if you can put up with his two mutts........and he's not an axe-murder so you are safe there. Let me know if this is something you would want to do and I will make arrangements, he's put up friends of mine from outa state before so he has no problems with it and you'll get to meet a great guy (my son, and no I'm not prejudice,lol)

And if you want a safe place to stay in Phoenix (not too sure about that animal guy) my daughter and son-in-law could put you up also!he,hee Rick!

Keep in touch and please let Craig and I know if there is anything we can do to help!

Love yas!

Katie & Craig(Craig is in such a kissy mood)

• searcher
    searcher

Animal

Thanks for the advise (printed it) and the offer !

As things stand at the moment I will be flying into Fort Worth/Dallas on the24th June and staying with Navigator for 1 week (thanks nav).

1st July I will be going to Dallas to stay with Jesika and Alex for one week ( thanks to Jes and Alex ).

8th July I will be flying up to Portland to stay with Bikerchick and Mr Bikerchick ( thanks to Biker and Ona).

Then on to Green Bay on the 15th July where XenaWarrior is organising something (thanks Xw).

Then home from Chicago on the 22nd of July.

I had to do this route to stay within the budget and to see as many folks as possible, I will see you at Xw's fest. (if I survive the Texans, the last I heard they were talking Body Piercing and Bull riding OMG ! )

Bikerchick. I will be in touch ok ? Thanks for the help. ( The kiss is for you, keep Craig away from it ! )

All the people on the board who have posted/emailed.

Thank you so much for your offers of help and advise, this trip will be the fulfillment of a life's dream and you have all made it possible.

It fills me up to know that there are people out there who will put themselves out to help someone they never even met. You are all stars !

Anyone in the areas I will be visiting who wants to meet, contact :-

Navigator

Jesika

Onacruse/Bikerchick

XenaWarrior

My email is in my Bio

For where and when I will be.

searcher. ( very emotional right now, you guys are great)

Edited to add

This is going to be the longest birthday blast ever............will searcher survive ?........stay tuned !!!

Edited by - searcher on 18 January 2003 14:50:29

• Jesika
    Jesika

((((((((((((((((((search))))))))))))))))))

Like I wrote you in an email I am more than happy to be a part of your life long dream!!!!!!! (has lump in throat)

You have been there for me many many times, and have helped me through some tough spots. I would feel insulted if you didn't stay with me and Alex! I can't wait to meet you and spend some time talking with you in person. When you called me on the phone, I couldn't stop smiling for hours!!!!!!!! I can't wait to talk with you face to face and for you to meet Alex, and my son. My family would love to meet you as well and we love to drink!!! You might want to pack some tea cause we don't drink it, or anywhere close to as often as you do. LOL

Reguarding the "figures" you asked me to give you. Alex rolled his eyes when I mentioned it to him, so like I told you don't worry about it. We want you to enjoy yourself and don't worry about anything else but having fun and spending time with us.

(getting emotional too)

I love you,

Jesika

of the*has been adopted by searcher class* (I hope)

Edited by - jesika on 18 January 2003 17:31:7

• Francois
    Francois

Searcher, one word of caution for when you are in Texas. You gotta watch those people, or they will try to feed you some form of cow with sauce on it and call it barbeque. All red-blooded Americans know that barbeque is made from PIG; either the whole pig or from hams and shoulders. There is just no such thing as barbequed COW. It's a contradiction in terms. Don't let 'em run that one by you m'friend.

Otherwise, Texans are a fine, upstanding, friendly bunch of folks - especially now that Alaska is a state and is BIGGER than Texas. We did have some small problems with them when Texas was the biggest state, but like I say that's died down a bit now.

Just don't accept nothing but the gen-u-ine barbequed PIG.

francois

• songmistress
    songmistress

Searcher,

I live about a mile from Biker and Ona, and they have my number. I would love to meet you when you get here. Maybe we could get a mini-fest going here, or at least a dinner gathering. Give me a call

Katie, you let me know when you hear from Searcher OK.

Cheryl

• searcher
    searcher

(((((((((((((jesika)))))))))))

Thank you and alex so much for your kindness, I am looking forward to chatting with you in person.

Ok You have been adopted !!!

Looks like i now have TWO crazy daughters LOL

Fransois

Pig info noted !!

Thanks for the tip mate I will definately keep an eye on them

You mean that you have found a Texan who will ADMIT that something not Texan is bigger ? WOW I admire your research skills LOL

Songmistress

A mini fest or dinner sounds wonderful.

You might want to talk to Biker about that as Ona can get a little 'off the planet at times hehehe !

searcher.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Searcher:

I am so excited for you to come to Texas! Don't listen to ole Francois.. we could BBQ rubber tires and they'd taste good.. heheheh. Believe me, my redneck neighbors have tried, stunk up the whole neighborhood for days! Musta got em offa all those cars sittin in their front yard. Hmm... I also noticed some dogs were missing....

I would like to come to visit you when you are at Jesika and Alex's... If yer up for another party to visit for a day, Jes?!?

Country Girl

• Jesika
    Jesika

CG,

You know I am ready when you are, email me hon!!!!!!!!!!

Jesika

PS. You know where I live LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit