Gettin' my garden on - looking for inspiration! !

by Mary J Blige 39 Replies latest social physical

• flipper
    flipper

MARY- Like Lisa Rose, my wife and I live in California out west where the drought has been. We live in the Sierra Nevada mountains where it can get up to 90 degrees in summer but usually in the high 70's to high 80's - good for growing. Although the drought has hit us- we have our vegetable gardens on drip systems mostly and we water pretty deeply at least every 3 to 4 days so it goes deep.

My son Flipper Jr. taught us quite a lot as he graduated from a permaculture gardening college course and has a degree in permaculture. WE took out some medium sized oak trees that were blocking sunlight from the garden and it helped tremendously as we've had a banner year for Zucchini squash, cherry tomatoes ( the one cherry tomato bush is about 8 feet tall ! ) Valencia tomatoes, black krim tomatoes, we had in early summer a great strawberry, blueberry, and huge raspberry crop as well. WE have a small peach tree we planted in April which is doing well and a volunteer nectarine tree as well, also a plum tree.

The key my son taught me is a proper mix in the soil of compost and the natural dirt and adding some horse, bat, or chicken manure to the mix, not too much. But about maybe 30 % to your compost and natural dirt, once you get that mixed in deep about 2 feet or so- then you have a proper PH in the soil to grow things- at least out here in California. We used chicken manure this year. Having great soil is a HUGE part of it I'm told by Flipper Jr. Many parts of the planet have crappy soil, so it requires preparation and hard work- but believe me the fruitage and vegetables are worth it when harvest comes. And for certain vegetables to grow they need a lot of sunlight as well. Some more than others- like squash, tomatoes - but onions, chard, lettuce, kale can't handle TOO much sun as they wilt. Those tend to be fall winter into spring crops anyway, where tomatoes and squash are summer crops.

So yeah, have fun ! Gardening is cool , a fun hobby and you save money growing your own fruits and vegetables ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That is really nice heaven, what a great idea!

Have been wanting to make a pergola also, due to the lot sloping down towards the back fence we have no privacy from the back alley. For now I have a potting bench I made, you can see it in this picture of some of the inventory from my business. I used an old window and some wood from Urban Ore (used building materials). The potting bench is OK, but I really want a pergola, but I have never built anything that big before, it seems intimidating, my carpentry skills are not that great.

• Mary J Blige
    Mary J Blige

We have a saying here in NZ Mr Flipper, it is "as scarce as bat shit". Think I might be able to get a ready supply of chicken manure though. Also was going to try mushroom compost this year.

A lawnch. That is exactly what I am after. Seems little point having a cartwheel and handstand lawn when your kids are past that. So lunch it is. Will be pruning the cherry tree a smidgen and opening up the sun. Plan to grow pear and apple against fence. Have a thornless blackberry, boisenberry and a two raspberries that did pretty poorly last year...

I also have a pretty narrow strip down the side of the house where berries passionfruit and compost are. Also propogating a few grasses, lavendar and the like. Want to go crazy out front tho...

Loving all the creative suggestions guys!!! Keep them coming!!

• Mary J Blige
    Mary J Blige

4th try! Side of house...

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

This is the Kyoto style inner courtyard garden I made at the back of the house. It is surrounded by four walls and is about 10 meters by 5 meters. before it was nothing but a space with pea stone laid down. Bringing in the plants, trees, river stones and stone water basin was hard work! I planted in a cherry blossom (sakura) tree as well as a bay leaf, Japanese maple and camphor tree. Getting the moss to take took time and patience as well. The rocks glisten beautifully on a rainy day.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

This is a stone water basin (tsukubai) that I put in at the end of the dry river bed. It was traditionally used for rinsing ones hands before engaging in the tea ceremony. No tea garden is complete without it and a stone lantern hiding shyly in the ferns.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

This group of rocks symbolizes a waterfall where the water flows from the corner on downward into the riverbed, emptying into the area around the water basin. It's called "karetaki" or dry waterfall cascade. The stones hopefully give depth and visual appeal to the garden. I installed the bamboo fence behind it to cover the ordinary walls and give the garden an Asian feel to it.

• possum
    possum
    Bonsai
    Inspirational
    Just a quick contrast Mr. Possum is growing in sand (Australia)
  • kaik
    kaik

I am a vivid gardener, and I love to garden. Over the last weekend I was planting shrubs to replace these that died in the heat of the summer. I am preparing my lawn for overseeding in September. I have a decent size of yard and I own one of the oldest trees in the area (it is about 120 years old, 90ft tall and you need four people to wrap around the trunk). I live in subtropical climate with short, snowy winter, and long, hot, humid summer. I am currently in the process also creating a new flowerbed around my shed for herbs. I divided the property that way that flowerbeds are around the house and fences, and lawn is between.

On my shady side, I planted hydrangea. I have two types of them, lace cap and oak leaf. However, my favorite are camellias. I got many of them from camellia society and I have about dozen of them. Three of them were imported from Asia. My camellias are blooming either in the spring or through fall to the first frost. Under my huge tree, I have rhododendrons. I also planted mountain laurels, gardenia, wiegela, myrtles, summersweet, chaste tree, anise, and persian lilac. I also have calla lilies, six different types of cannas, gladiolas, fuchsia, freesias.

I do not grow vegetables, animals would eat every fruit and veggie on sight. I gave up feeding them. My grandmother had nice garden surrounded by climbing grape wines, almond trees, peaches, and apricots back in Europe. She had a well in the middle of the court yard covered with cast iron, and the court yard smelled nicely with lavenders and rosemary. I wish I could recreate the garden as she had, but different climate made it impossible.

• Mary J Blige
    Mary J Blige
    Hi everyone, there has been much progress in the garden and I have been trying (in vain) to post some of the update photos. The tree plans were executed. Now have pears, apple and blackberry. Rhubarb being crowded out by pumpkins just rambling EVERYWHERE. The entire front wall (some 11m wide) is planted out with the contents of my daughter's birthday pumpkin salad. Double bonus. Had such success with the pumpkins that I decided to save up the seeds from a couple of melons and (what do you know) I am now running out of space for other bits I have yet to plant. Garden boxes have come up amazingly well. 14 oversized zucchini from the plants between xmas day and yesterday - which are now grated and in the freezer for soup. The only thing that has been a little disappointing comparatively is the climbing beans. Think perhaps it was a smidge too early? In any case, the frames are bare (for now - til the pumpkins take over that too).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit