Gettin' my garden on - looking for inspiration! !

by Mary J Blige 39 Replies latest social physical

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I can't seem to post a picture from photobucket of my garden in May this year but I can post this link. No link didn't work I may try another host site.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Xanthippe, you no longer need to use a hosting site for uploading pics. You can do it directly from your hard drive (or other media).

I, too, love gardening. Thank you guys for sharing your pics.

This year I did not plant a thing due to a very busy schedule. I am in Ontario, Canada and we are approaching the end of summer and beginning of autumn. I believe I am in plant hardiness zone 5a.

I have 3 tomato plants from last year's plant, numerous lettuce plants, some sunflowers, and borage. These all planted out from last year's plants as I had let them go to seed. The sunflowers are a combo of seeds from last year and squirrels and chipmunks planting seeds this year.

I have also had excellent success planting container carrots. I did not plant them this year as they need quite a lot of attention, aka watering, when they are first getting established and I did not have the time. I want to try container potatoes (similar to the sacks), and corn, perhaps next year.

I like to plant perennial flowers and herbs. I have some bee balm, columbine, and echinacea. I'd love to have more space for an herb garden (I have sage next to my bee balm) but my lot is rather small. I'd like a raised, container bed for herbs. I'd love to design a garden for my front lawn that is both esthetically pleasing as well as a source of food { ie making a lawnch - lawns into lunch ;0) }. This would also cut down on the amount of mowing I have to do.

Here are a couple of pics of my container carrots from last year:

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I've tried Heaven but I can't get it to upload from the pictures on my iPad and my desk top is poorly, I think I need a new one.

When I upload a 'moments' photo from my iPad to this site it loads into the Have your say.... box, I can see it, but I just can't post it. The post reply button just won't work.

• Xanthippe
  • Xanthippe
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I live in California, which is usually a gardeners paradise, I am in the San Francisco bay area, the climate is very temperate, you can grow just about anything. But we are in a major drought this year, so that has been challenging, we have to be very frugal with water. We have a small lot, our house is in a "new urban" development, which means houses are close together, only five foot easements on the side. It's amazing what you can grow in such a small space. We grow a lot of things in pots, all pots are on a drip system with a timer, that makes it a lot easier, no daily watering, and it takes less water. I mix herbs and veggies in here and there, we are somewhat challenged in that many areas do not get a lot of sun, so there is no place for a dedicated vegetable garden. I compost food scraps with yard waste, that allows me to use less fertilizer.

We have been here five years and I just completed this project. Our living and dining room look out on this fence. I have been wanting to do something since we moved in, but couldn't decide what. I finally decided on sedums, they are drought tolerant, very hardy and don't need a lot of maintenance. I built the boxes from some old wood I had on hand. I bought some vintage children's chairs from the antique mall where I sell my goods, I put some petunias in them, I can easily switch them out for something else as the seasons change. I am not finished, I am plans to do the entire length.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Must be an iPad thing it worked when I used my daughter's lap top. First pic is my garden in May this year and second is some foxglove seeds I grew last year which flowered this year. I've shaken the seed heads really well so I hope they self seed.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I have foxgloves too, one of my favorite flowers. Mine have come back every year, although I think there have been less lately, I should try that.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    They're one of my favourites LisaRose. So beautiful in the woods I wanted them in my garden. I hope they come back they were full of seeds.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Xanthippe, those are lovely pics. You may be correct about the iPad. I think others have formatting issues too on this site when they use their phones or iPads.

LisaRose, I love your chair idea!

I will likely incorporate some vertical planting as my space is limited. I would love to put a small patio in the backyard with a pergola or some kind of apparatus for shading and possibly growing vines on. It will help to shade the house in summer. My backyard faces the West so it gets quite warm back there.

I saw this neat idea a few years back on the Interwebz - "Garden on Barn Wall":

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit