Making peace with God...

by Pronger 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pronger
    Pronger

I was disfellowshipped in 1996 for "fornication". This disfellowshipping literally crushed me as I felt I was fully repentant at the time. I was the one who approached the elders to confess. I'm not here to criticize those who made the decision. I no longer care about that. While my parents refuse to shun me, the rest of my family till this day continues to shun me. The hurt from this has faded as well.

The years following my disfellowshipping what creeped into my heart was a hatred for God. I cursed his name and swore never to worship him again. What I saw was a deity that continued to let people die needlessly and suffer. When the tragedy of September 11, 2001 occured, I became enraged. I refused to believe that a loving God would allow such acts to occur, that such evil people were free to roam the planet slaughtering others in the name of God. On May 5, 2001 I married the love of my life. On June 27. 2002, my first child was born. Again this further strengthened my resolve against God. I saw God as a liar, for in the nearly 2000 years since Jesus died, his promise at Revelations 21:4 has gone unfulfilled. As a father I knew that if I was all powerful, I would do everything to keep my son from experiencing pain and eventually death.

Yesterday, January 16th my wife's grandfather was buried. He was a great man. He gave freely asking for nothing in return. If anyone needed help, he would provide. He also was a Christian. In the years before his death, I always smirked how foolish anyone was that put faith in religion. That they were only deceiving themselves in believing in a loving God. I also drew from my experiences growing up. Many Jehovah's Witnesses I knew were more concerned about saving their own neck rather than just worshipping God out of love. My wife's grandfather, I knew truly worshipped God out of love, but I always felt that his time and energy of worship would be better directed elsewhere. What happened yesterday made me re-evaluate my thoughts, my hatred for God.

The midwestern part of the United States yesterday was gloomy, there was snow in the air. As I sat in church waiting for the services to start, I looked around and laughed to myself about how Jehovah's Witnesses think that such a place was part of Christendom, false worshippers of God. Of how God would never have anything to do with the people who worship inside such a building.

I saw many people there who came to pay their respect for my wife's grandfather. I saw their grief and in my heart anger rose up again repeating many thoughts I've had over the last few years. To myself I cursed God again for allowing such sorrow. As the service started something began to change in me. I noticed a light shining through the stained glass window of the church to my left. It was the sun. On such a gloomy day as it was, the clouds broke for a few minutes and the light brightened the room. I know there was nothing miraculous about it, but I saw the reactions of others around. It brought many smiles and tears of joy. Almost as if God himself parted the clouds to allow the sun to shine through and help lift the hearts of so many in sorrow. It was quite touching to me, but I quickly focused back on the service at hand. It was difficult to sit through, I fought back the tears. The pastor in conclusion mentioned a scripture I always held dear. He quoted part of Matthew 25:21 in reference to my wife's late grandfather... He said that after death in reflection of this man's life God would say to him... "Well done, good and faithful servant". I always had yearned to hear of such approval from God, but to never have I met someone as my wife's grandfather, someone who it so well applies. He was not a perfect man, but I have never met someone so loving. I knew it to be true that God would say such words to him. I felt my resolve against God weakening, I began to feel his love again yet in my stubbornness I wouldn't let things go.

There was a scripture I wanted to share with my wife to help comfort her but hadn't done so as yet. I had never expressed to her the anger I felt towards God. I had never told anyone except God. On the drive home, I finally let go. I told her how much I hated God. How he failed in his promise. How he if he was loving he would have never let anything evil happen to begin with. She quickly corrected me saying that without the pain and the loss we would never truly appreciate the good. Just like how some who are wealthy do not appreciate what they have. Instead they are always looking for something better. And how those who are poor appreciate even the smallest of gifts. She is not a religious woman in that she doesn't study the bible or spend time at church, so to myself I dismissed what she was saying reflecting on the failed promise of Revelations 21:4.

When we arrived at home, I showed her the scripture I had wanted to for several days. Ecclesiastes 7:1. "A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth." As I was explaining to her what this meant and how it applied to her grandfather my attention was drawn to the scriptures immediately following. My eyes were opened, my anger and hatred for God being sucked out of me. I saw what my wife said to be true. It was as if God, for the first time in my life, spoke to me answering all the criticism and hate I felt for him.

Ecclesiastes 7:2-4, 8-12

2 It is better to go to a house of mourning
    than to go to a house of feasting,
    for death is the destiny of every man;
    the living should take this to heart.
    3 Sorrow is better than laughter,
    because a sad face is good for the heart.
    4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
    but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.
    8 The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
    and patience is better than pride.
    9 Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit,
    for anger resides in the lap of fools.

10 Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?"
    For it is not wise to ask such questions.

11 Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing
    and benefits those who see the sun.
    12 Wisdom is a shelter
    as money is a shelter,
    but the advantage of knowledge is this:
    that wisdom preserves the life of its possessor.

Shocked, I turned to Matthew Henry's Commentary hoping to find that I was just interpreting these scriptures incorrectly. As you can see, I am capable of being very stubborn and didn't want to let go of my hate. What I found though I could not deny. I will not post everything that I read, but instead provide a link to it so that any who wish may read it.

http://www.ccel.org/h/henry/mhc2/MHC21007.HTM

For the first time in many years, in all honesty my life, I felt touched by God, that he understood what I had felt but that there was a reason that it must be this way. I cannot believe what happened yesterday was of mere coincidence. I used to ridicule others who had said that at some time in their life God reached out to them. I will never do this again. I think to the words my wife said in recent days, that there is a reason things happen. Maybe we don't recognize it at the time, but some day we will.

In death I thank my grandfather by marriage. I thank him for all the lives he touched. I thank him that even in death, he became a bridge between myself and God. For this I will be eternally grateful. I wish he could hear my voice now. I wish that he knew what he had done.

God's words in Ecclesiastes chapter 7 became true for me. In sorrow I have become a better person.

Matt

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Matt.

Welcome to the board. I am so glad that you have lost the hatred that you once felt for God, even though it took the death of a good man to do it.

I have never felt the need to blame God for the evil things that men do to each other.

I used to do the public talk about "A Good Name " and it drew heavily on Eccl chap 7 Thank you for getting me to read it again. I like your translation's way of putting it.

We look forward to more posts.

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

I wish he could hear my voice now. I wish that he knew what he had done.

Maybe he could Matt.

I'm sorry for your loss, he sounded wonderful, and he would have been proud of you today.

Hate is so negative isn't it, so destructive...I'm glad you're at peace again.

Welcome, that was beautifully wriiten, had my heart in my throat reading through that.

My Love to you and your wife.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Wow, this is so moving and I'm about ready to cry.

This story reminds me of a man who was a youth minister, his name was Rich.

His wife told us in his funeral that while he was alive, he was a loving man, a loving husband and a loving father. But outside of his family, he loved the teens more because he knew God loved them and he wanted to reach out to the teenagers who are at a impressionable age that can easily fall into drugs, alcohol, sex and for some, teenage gangs in the streets downtown in the mid part of the city of Indianapolis. Some are hurt from parents who have divorced and some have been abused by their parents or family member. He reached out to every avenue of backgrounds where the teens came from.

One day, he said a prayer to God that out of all the teenagers that came to Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior in his years of ministry. He asked God what if he died today he wondered, would his death bring more teenagers to Christ far more than he has ever done when he was alive? He had expressed that wonder to his wife as well.

One day, he died, he just collapsed on the floor at home. He had a blood clot to his brain.

His wife then offered her husband's body as a alter call for all those who knew him and never gave the chance to ask Christ into their hearts to be their Lord and Savior when he was alive. She said that he would very much want everyone who met him to come and be with him with the Lord, if only if they could come to Christ first. He wanted to share the celebration of life after death. Like the Jordon river, where we all have crossed from life to death to life again.

So she left the call open to all those who wished to come to Christ and many teenagers flooded upon his casket to accept Christ as their Lord and Savior. There was more teenagers who became saved than he has ever done when he was alive.

It was the most heart moving thing I have ever seen in my life and I will never forget it.

Rich was in his mid 30s when he died. He was a very young but loving man who loved God and his little children, the teenagers. I didn't know him much because I didn't hang around with him alot, just some hellos and some small talks. But during the funeral, I got to know more about him and my only regret was that I never got to know him more than I should have, I really missed the train on that one.

Yizuman

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

This is too good of a post to be missed and deserves a good bump.

Yizuman

• Dawn
    Dawn

What a great post Pronger-Matt!! We have something in common - it was through a friend's funeral that I first realized God was reaching out to me.

I look forward to reading more of your posts! I bet that you will see God reaching out to you again soon - now that you have recognized it.

• kes152
    kes152

Dearest Pronger,

May YOU have peace!

Concerning Revelation 21:4, this is what our Father and his Son wishes you to know. May you continue to have ears and hear what the holy spirit is saying to you.

"And he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.

I am the Al'pha and the Ome'ga, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsty I will give from the fountain of the water of life freely. And anyone conquering will inherit these things, and I will become his God and he will become my son. But as for the cowards, and those without faith, and the unclean, as those who shed innocent blood, etc. their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death." (Revelation 21:4-8)

Pronger, you don't want to "crave" the day of Christ because that day is a day of darkness, a day of great sadness. Our Father does not desire the death of the wicked. He wants all to repent and come to know his Son. Unfortunately, not all want the 'truth,' they want what satisfies them despite whom it hurts. So our Father takes care of the 'seed' that are hidden in the earth because the love doing good and do their best to bring glory to our Father and his Son. Through them, the Son brings many people to righteousness and he cleanses them with his own blood. When the last 'seed' comes and receives the anointing from holy spirit, and there are no other people left who want to be among the anointed (for the invitation is that all may be anointed if they wish), then the door will be closed. The good news of the kingodom and of Christ will have been preached into all the earth for a witness to all the nations and then the end will come.

In the meantime, while we are waiting for the rest of our brothers to be gathered in by the Christ, you can ask for the free gift of holy spirit and bear fruit of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, goodness, kindness, faith, and minister to all whom you meet. Preach Christ as Lord and and share what you received. for you received free, give free. Stay close to the vine, and remain in his love, just as he obeyed the Father and remained in his love.

Aaron

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Matt))))

What a beautiful story! The one thing so lacking in the JW teachings is the word "grace". They've changed it in the NWT to "undeserved kindness", which has a totally different meaning than grace. You have experienced the grace of God! Congratulations. And make sure to cherish it. It's so much easier to give grace when we've fully experienced it from God.

I wish you the best and welcome to the board!

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit