"The Soldier's Story"

by mike047 4 Replies latest jw friends

• mike047
    mike047

Hello all;

Since there has been much discussion about an impending war, I thought I would mention this.

"The Soldiers's story" by Ron Steinman. I am listening to the audio book version. It is a narrative of thoughts from combatants involved in the Viet Nam conflict. It is not political or really historic[facts figures, deaths, etc.] in content. It just gives the feeling and thoughts of the combat soldiers during their tour and daily lives. It gives a very accurate portrayal of the personal expierences of this time. Anyone wishing to know more or to understand the feelings of an active combatant could learn from this.

The copy I am listening to is from my public library. It could be available from some rental places[video store]. It can be purchased or rented online from http://booksontape.com

It is book #5558.

mike

edited to add book #

Edited by - mike047 on 17 January 2003 7:3:51

Edited by - mike047 on 17 January 2003 7:5:29

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

If you enjoy reading non-fiction about the Viet Nam war, I would like to recommend "Chickenhawk." It's about the young pilots who flew combat helicopter missions in Nam. Very intense. Especially when they're using the chopper blades to chop through the tree canopy to get up in the air.

• mike047
    mike047

Mega; Thanks, I'll look for it.

I am particularlly interested in Viet Nam era Army aviation. My father was a rotary wing flight instructor . He taught many of the fliers for the conflict. I met many of them and several didn't come back alive. I can also remember meeting many Mid east exchange pilots being trained at US Army bases.

Mike

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Mike, I have 3 books I highly recommend to you if you are interested in US Army Aviation during Vietnam.

Hunter-Killer Squadron by Matthew Brennan. This book is a compilation of articles written by the guys that were there from 1965 to 1972, all concern helicopters.

Winged Sabers by Lawrence H. Johnson III. This is a documentary of the Air Cavalry in Vietnam complete with pictures of it all.

Red Bird Down by Bruce E. Carlson. My favorite. It is a fictionalized account of Mr Carlsons tour. It is my favorite as I served with Bruce and flew with him a time or two. He was a Scout Pilot flying in the OH-6A, the helicopters I worked on (after he tore them up)

Feel free to contact me privately if you ever would like to discuss it. My tours were both in C Troop 7/17th Air Cavalry, 1969 to 1970. You might enjoy some of the pictures I have.

Lew W

• mike047
    mike047

THANKS, RED

mike

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit