Congruency and Self-Justification

by Marcos 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Marcos
    Marcos

I made a mistake in the previous version of this post. I presented too much information at the beginning! If anyone is interested in MY opinion, I will re-post it below.

Do you agree or disagree with being congruent in your conduct? Dont you think that it is best to teach by example rather than to preach? Would you provide some examples?

Marcos (of the Still Learning How to Post Class)

P.S. Don't you just LOVE that "Edit" button?

Edited by - marcos on 15 January 2003 23:22:57

Edited by - marcos on 15 January 2003 23:24:27

Edited by - marcos on 15 January 2003 23:47:18

Edited by - marcos on 15 January 2003 23:49:5

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Do you agree or disagree with being congruent in your conduct?

I very much agree with you, we should be congruent in every aspect of our lives. However I dont think the WT and Congruence can be said in the same statement. They teach anything BUT being honest and genuine with how we feel or with what we should do in our daily lives....for instance, if we see a disfellowshiped person pushing a broken down car our first instinct would be to help, but that would be too congruent so therefore we have to deny that and shun them and deny how we really feel. Also is we were feeling "spiritually low" we couldnt say it, we had to deny our feelings and wear a kingdom smile....get the gist. Congruence is not "jehovah talk", its not in the JW dictionary.

Brummie (of the finally congruent class)

• Marcos
    Marcos

Exactly, Brummie!

I dont think the WT and Congruence can be said in the same statement.

I do agree. How, indeed, could we have congruency based upon the example we were given by the F&DS? As a disclaimer, I have to say that I seldom observed the shunning required by the WT even when I was in Bethel. I do admit, however, that it was partly because of my arrogance! I felt that somehow I COULD actually help those who were df'd.

When my father was df'd, I never once hesitated to talk to him or to love him. Same with my mother, same with both of my brothers. I thought it was a stupid policy then and still is. Congruency (and adhereance to Bible principles) would seem to demand human (Godlike) kindness toward any other human being.

But, I'm kind of goofy anyway.

Marcos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit