New Book, Movie, Etc.

by patio34 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• patio34
    patio34

Musings:

1. A really good and unusual book Im reading is A Party of One--The Loner's Manifesto by Anneli Rufus. Its about loners and their place in society and their psychological fitness. Here's a bit from the back of the book:

Isaac Newton, Michelangelo, Ann Rice, They and countless others belong to a subculture that will never join hands, a group whose voices will never form a chorus. Thy are lonersand they have at least one thing in common: They keep to themselves. And they like it that way.

Self-reliant, each loner swims alone thru a social worlda world of teams, troops and groupsthat scorns and misunderstands those who stand apart. Everywhere from newspapers to playgrounds, loners are accused of being crazy, cold, stuck-up, standoffish, selfish, sad, bad, secretive and lonelyand, of course, serial killers. Loners, however, know better than anyone else how to entertain themselvesand how to contemplate and to create. Etc., etc.

Im really enjoying it. Does it resonate with anyone here? Or it could be a rebound effect of being in a group for so long--the forced camaraderie crap of "love." It also challenges the idiocy at Pr. 18:1 which the WT harped on so we wouldn't miss meetings (He who isolates himself seeks out his own selfish longing). (That's for a "throwing up" smilie!)

1. A song by Gerry Raffertythe love of my life for now --is Can I have my money backabout taking up a religion and seeing the preacher man who said his way was the best, took up his religion and forgot the rest, then took a closer look and saw he was just the same:

Can I have my money back, please sir? I dont hear what youre saying and I dont care what youre doing, can I have my money back?

Can we go to the WTBS and ask for our money (read life) back?

1. Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

Edited by - Patio34 on 15 January 2003 23:21:51

• patio34
    patio34

This is the rest of my post that was cut off for some reason.

Today at work I was ill for a couple of hours and the JW receptionist was offering unsolicited suggestions. One was why dont you rest and have a nice cup of tea? Wonder what she would have done if I had responded why dont you sit down and have a cup of shut the f*** up? LOL!

Has anyone seen About Schmidt? Kathy Bates was outstanding in the movie and seemed to often say shut the f*** up! Thats why that phrase was on my mind--honest! The movie was very good, albeit a bit of a downer for some. But it made me feel great about MY life.

Well, thanks for listening. Im pretty chatty for a semi-loner, eh? One thing that the book says a loner does is turn off the ringer on the phonea lot. Ive done that for quite a long time. My reasoning being the same as the books: why should just anyone have access to me just because Im home? That doesnt mean I feel like talking!

Have a great evening, all!

Pat

Edited by - Patio34 on 15 January 2003 23:28:40

• one
    one

Prov 14:17, 18

• patio34
    patio34

Hi One,

Sorry, I don't sling scriptures anymore.

• Seven
    Seven

Does it resonate with anyone here?

Totally!

why should just anyone have access to me just because I'm home?

OMG! I must get this book!!! Nice to see you Pat, hope you are doing well.

"Table for one please."-seven

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Seven,

It's nice to see your reply! I'm fine. Hope you're doing great!

Pat

• one
    one

Having caller ID service and a voice recording machine is more convinient than turning off the ringer...

Now with mobile phone they think you shold be available 24 hours.

Generally speaking, as a jw you learn to deal with being different.

LOL btw a cople of days ago I just told a girl that was it, no more dates...

Oh the ringer is off? no problem she thought, i'll knock on his (mine) door, but three times was too much for me.. sorry she travelled about an hour each time but stories (warnings) had been told about other girls who did the same thing.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi One,

I forgot to mention I do have voice mail, so I am available to people, plus most of my friends have my work number also. Caller ID is too costly and it also would necessitate my looking at the phone everytime. What I like about turning off the ringer and leaving it to voice mail is the "vacation" feeling because no one can disturb me. Unless of course at my door which is what happened to you. I hope she backs off!

Pat

• auntiem
    auntiem

I am a great people person and I do enjoy the company of others every several years or so....caller ID...yep...answering machine? nope....ringer off? yep......I really like my privacy a lot.....guess I must be one of those loner types tooo...except I do like fun and friviolity on the chat and must get a daily dose. The book sounds interesting and would like to read it.

aUnTiE M of the don't bug me class

• patio34
    patio34

Hi AuntieEm,

great people person and I do enjoy the company of others every several years or so

LOL!

Maybe there's an explanation why I feel so drained if I attend many social gatherings and (ahem) irritable at times.

I think I've found my tribe!

Pat

Edited by - patio34 on 16 January 2003 15:15:15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit