Looking for a good family law attorney

by Ray Skyhorse 2 Replies latest social family

• Ray Skyhorse
    Ray Skyhorse

Greetings,

Can anyone recommend a good family law attorney practising in Northern California (Humboldt County)? I need to get a divorce and it will probably get messy since child custody will be an issue.

Thanks,

Ray

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

Hello Ray

Im not sure how its done in the states but in Australia you can check with the law society/association and ask for a reference for a solicitor/lawyer either in your area or in the area of law you need. There is always the interent to search as many lawyers advertise or have homepages. Then there are the courts, if you have time, go down to your family court and watch.. this way you can see them in action before you commit yourself. Also most lawyers have the first interview free, but dont expect any answer - its not how the law works. the best advise is to be prepared. Have all the necessary information, dates of seperation, list of assets and laibilites and any interim custody orders and any other issues that have arisen (dom violence, etc etc).

Also it would be worthy of knowing where and in what environment you child will be residing (in the family home or not, staying with people etc etc). My strongest advise would be to NOT leave the family home, if possible seperate by relocating into another room and seperate all financial arrangements this includes bank accounts and always maintain any records, especially financial. What you pay for and when and what financial support you provide, keep cheque butts and receipts.(and do not under any circumstances resume a sexual relationship, as this will alter the seperation date, unless you are considering the seperation)

If your children are above a certain age (in Australia 12) the court will give careful consideration to their wishes especially in regard to where they want to live and with whom. And remember not to use the kids as weapons, because you will regret it later as they will remember it and it could well sour your relationship with them - which could take a lifetime to heal. (personal experience)

I hope this helps - dont take it as gospel as Im in Australia but just as friendly advise.

Wish you well Curious Mind

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

Sorry, I can only reccomend a great lawyer on the opposite coast.

~Witch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit