Know about the WTS Religious Retreat Center?

by Jourles 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

Accidentally found this while searching for information on one of the Society's shell corporations:

The ravine area was named after John Teeter, who built a mill complex here, circa 1810. In his mill, Mr. Teeter was able to produce oil, flour, and grist. In the late 1800s, some areas near the ravine were used as a rock quarry. In the Mountain Farm Section, the Lantz Family constructed the stone farmhouse in 1818. The farm was operated by the family (now spelled, Lance) until the late 1920s. The property was then operated as a religious retreat center by the Watchtower Bible Society, until County acquisition in 1999.

This once "religious retreat" is located in the Lebanon Township, NJ.

http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/pdf/parks/Teetertown.pdf

• auntiem
    auntiem

Very interesting Jourles but I thought it was common knowlege that the WTS bought a lot of reality for retreats and camp grounds for bethalites and their families to use..also houses to house those who are too elderly to work at bethel.

Hugs!

aUnTiE M

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

most know about mountain farm and kingdom farm. Thats were we got our berries from while at bethel..
  • undercover
    undercover
    I thought it was common knowlege that the WTS bought a lot of reality for retreats and camp grounds for bethalites and their families to use..also houses to house those who are too elderly to work at bethel.

I didn't know about that. Camp grounds for Bethelite recreation? That doesn't sound like the Society. It's a frivolous use of donation money.

Buying houses for Bethelite elderly is sincere enough, but I've never heard of that either.

Am I alone in being ignorant on this?

• Jourles
    Jourles

:Am I alone in being ignorant on this?

No you are not alone Undercover. I had never heard of these types of retreats either. And as for the houses that the elderly live in after they are too old to work at Bethel....I have NEVER heard of that. I can see that being for the GB members, but no one else.

I wonder how much the WTS got for selling this land? From the description, it sounds beautiful.

• Forgiven One
    Forgiven One

I never knew of these retreats either. But it does not suprise me to hear of them now. The WT surely new this was a good investment and capitilized on it. The donated money has to go somewhere, why not in an investment such as real estate. If they grew beyond their current houseing and publishing capabilities, they had the land to expand. If as we see they did'nt grow as rapidly as they had hoped, it could be sold and at a tidy profit. It then is turned around and re-invested in something else. They were smart to do this. With all the currnet legal issues involving the child molestation they may need this reserve of money. While they have not been held accountable for many things in the courts, I believe with all the other such scandels in other religions, their time has run out. People are tired of seeing this happen and churches not accept responsibilty. They had to know this time would come. Even their "Old Light" was bright enough to show the GB this would happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit