Clonaid forced to reveal location of clone

by meadow77 6 Replies latest jw friends

• meadow77
    meadow77
    U.S. court demands Clonaid tell where purported clone baby, parents are Monday January 12, 2003 - 8:52:31 EST
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - An executive with the company that claims to have produced a human clone was subpoenaed Saturday to appear in court and the company was ordered to disclose the whereabouts of the baby girl and her mother.

The witness subpoena and summons were approved by a court at the request of lawyer Bernard Siegel, who has filed a lawsuit asking the state to appoint a guardian for the child, the lawyer said.

The papers were delivered to Thomas Kaenzig, a Clonaid vice-president, before he spoke at the Money World 2003 conference in Fort Lauderdale, Siegel said.

If Kaenzig fails to appear at the hearing Jan. 22, he could be held in contempt of court.

Kaenzig would not speak about the papers and Clonaid spokeswoman Nadine Gary also declined comment.

Kaenzig said the girl's parents fear losing her through government or court action.

``They have been waiting many, many years for this baby to be here and they are very happy that the baby is here,'' he said.

Clonaid announced Dec. 27 in Hollywood, Fla., a baby girl born the previous day was cloned from her mother. The company said the mother was a 31-year-old American whose husband was infertile, but has refused to further identify the family or say where the cloning process or birth occurred.

The company originally committed to allow DNA tests to prove the cloning claim but said last week the baby's parents will not submit to any testing, unless they receive guarantees the child will not be taken away.

Clonaid has ties to the Quebec-based Raelian religious sect, which believes space aliens created life on Earth. Their revelation was met with intense skepticism and experts have demanded the DNA tests as proof of the birth.

Siegel's lawsuit alleges Clonaid is trying to commercially exploit the child and she needs specialized medical treatment. Siegel said if the judge determines the baby is in danger, she should be turned over to state care.

So, know they have been ordered to put up or shut up. I have to admit, I think they will find just as everyone already suspects that it is a big hoax. But, what if it weren't, do you think it's right for the government to sweep in and steal the cloned effort of someone else? Do you think that they will actually find a cloned baby, or just a hoax?

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I wouldn't want to see the baby taken away from the parents whether a clone or not. Looks like this is going to get ugly.

Mike.

• Mary
    Mary

The whole thing is nothing but a load of sh#t from a bunch of absolutely wacko people......I mean come on, if they were at all worried that this baby would be taken from its parents, then they never would have made the announcement in the first place.

That freak of a woman with hair like Lilly Munsters absolutely guaranteed "proof" within a week. Just as I predicted, they came up with an excuse which doesn't hold water.

I don't believe for one second that they've cloned anything. This guy that's been subpoenaed will more than likely make some sort of statement that he'll "sacrifice" his freedom so that these people can live in peace.......they'll never be able to prove a thing, except that they're a bunch of liars.

• LDH
    LDH

LOL---like there really *IS* a cloned baby.

LOL.

Lisa

If you clone it, they will come Class

• meadow77
    meadow77

I hope she didn't clone herself for their experiement Did anyone catch Rael on Dateline? What a character. First he demanded to be referred to as his holiness. He basically confirmed the fact that the whole thing was for publicity. And then when it was suggested that he might be trying to con people, he threatened to end the interview because he said they were being disrespectful to him. He said "you wouldn't talk like that to a rabbi, or the pope" They showed the plans for his 20 million dollar compound. It's supposed to be for the aliens to land, but I suspect he needs a place big enough to rest his ego.

• Realist
    Realist

hilarious!!!

this is once again proof that nothing is too stupid to find some adherents.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

No no no, it's all a big misunderstanding!

What happened was that the ugly spokeswoman was touring the Clonaid facililty with a bunch of people, including a family with a new-born baby. The head scientist took one look at her and said "wow, that's a real crone". Unfortunately because he was Chinese a predictable misunderstanding occured over what he had said, with the resulting announcements about a " rael clone".

There is a real clone. She's been standing in front of the pless..er...press all the time.

Expatbrit

Edited by - expatbrit on 15 January 2003 8:29:16

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit